• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seasoning a Cast Iron Skillet

They come pre seasoned. If they didn't they'd be full of rust by the time they got the shelves. Honestly when I buy a new i one I clean it heavy and reseason myself with crisco.

This is a fine example of before and after..Before it was all rusted and had been sitting outside for I don't know how long sniper22 sniper22 was kind enough when he had his shop to bead blast it or sand I'm not sure..Then I just reseasoned using Vegetable oil, thin coat and into the oven at 300 degree's for an hour..Let cool for an hr and repeat three times total..
Castiron2.jpgcastiron3.jpgCastiron.jpgCastiron4.jpg

So I see options with just regular vegetable oil and one with bacon grease does the oil that you use or select have a impact on the flavor we use it everything taste better with bacon

So I see options with just regular vegetable oil and one with bacon grease does the oil that you use or select have a impact on the flavor we use it everything taste better with bacon
No. And don't leave a bunch of whatever you use to season on the pan. It will goop up and make a mess. Pan in oven upside down over a drip pan is recommended. I've saved dozens of pans.

This is a fine example of before and after..Before it was all rusted and had been sitting outside for I don't know how long sniper22 sniper22 was kind enough when he had his shop to bead blast it or sand I'm not sure..Then I just reseasoned using Vegetable oil, thin coat and into the oven at 300 degree's for an hour..Let cool for an hr and repeat three times total..
View attachment 4606854View attachment 4606855View attachment 4606856View attachment 4606863
Looking for someone who can bead blast or clean a 10-12 gallon cast iron pot or direct me how to so I can reseason. Many a fish fry in it growing up.

No. And don't leave a bunch of whatever you use to season on the pan. It will goop up and make a mess. Pan in oven upside down over a drip pan is recommended. I've saved dozens of pans.
Totally agree with the upside down method. I use crisco and upside down in the oven for an hour at 300*.
There are a bunch of different ways but this has worked well for me. I usually grind to a smooth finish first when they’re new or have a coarse finish.

Back
Top Bottom