• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seating depth

25   0
Reaction score
Evening fellas
I’m working on a load for my Remington 700 30-06.
I mocked up a round to get a overall length.
My question is do I need to worry that the bullet is not seated to the cannelure?

Thanks for any and all info

If pressure increase won't be a big concern I'd rather it be at the cannelure personally but that would depend on your particular load.
OAL can and does vary between manufactures and load books in my experience.

Load up a dummy round .100 longer and no crimp (no primer, no powder, make sure case is full length sized).
get a candle and smoke the bullet. Load it in the rifle you wish to load for, slowly close and lock the bolt. Slowly remove the dummy round and measure it. You should have a ring where the bullet enters the lands of your barrel. Set your bullet seating die about .002 to .005 shorter and crimp it. Redo everything you just did and look for your seating ring on your load Now you should not have one or very light mark. Check everything again and check for overall length. This is the length you need for that rifle.
the goal was to find overall length and best accurate round. You want the bullet to just enter the lands to prevent wobble. You will need to do this again if changing the bullet, weight, manufacture or octave.
Reload a new one primer and powder, try it out, you might need small adjustments but you should be good to go. Just my thoughts..

In auto loaders, I make an effort to seat to the cannelure (to reduce chance of setback while chambering), on bolt or single shots, I seat based on distance to lands and what the gun shoots best.

You may also notice, not all bullets have cannelure. It is useful (in some cases), but not necessary.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom