• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Second annual vacation on Amelia Island.

Good trip! I put it all together in the Yak the last day. I lost track of the number of short Trout I caught. The small Flounder is 14 inches and that big Trout is 23 inches. She was fat, too. Weighed about 5lbs.

A Yak.jpg

A Fish.jpg

Going to Amelia in July. Love to hear about any successes via yak. Any pointers on where you went would be appreciated.
Check out Kayak Amelia on Little Talbot Island. You want to fish the creek mouths on Simpson Creek on an outgoing tide. However, you can't launch there for about an hour to hour and a half on either side of low tide. No water. And they are only open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. You also do not want to be paddling against the current. Go in and drift/paddle on the rising tide. Then fish back towards the take out on the dropping tide. Make sure you're out about 2 hours before dead low tide. Time it right!!!

You can also try the dock pylons west of Nassau Bridge at the southern tip of Amelia Island itself. That's the bridge you see in the picture. You'll need wheels for the yak. The closest parking is on the other side of the bridge from where you launch from the beach. There is a good concrete path to the fishing bridge, but then there is a short haul down a sand path to the beach. Going in isn't much of a problem, but there's about 20 yards uphill in soft sand coming out. That's a long 20 yards with a heavy fishing yak. LOL! Do not go too far out in the river!!! The tide currents are strong and they come on fast. It goes from "Not a problem." to "OH S***!" real quick. Stay at the docks. If the current gets bad, head for the beach. They is a big slow current area in close. BTW, there are good size sharks in that area. I saw an 8 or 9 foot caught from the bridge last year.

Good luck! Don't die. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom