• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seems I may have hired myself out of a job...

I don't know everything he does that takes that much time. I did ask him to pass some of his workload off to me, but he wants to be in control of every little detail. He won't add another crew because the sales people aren't bringing in enough to keep 2 crews working regularly.

If he doesn’t have enough work to keep two crews busy with all of the building going on now, I’d be looking for something else pronto. Once things die off, that company will be gone with the wind.

I was a "production supervisor" for a roofing company. The owner, who I worked directly under, kept promising me a promotion and salary as soon as we could find someone to take over the role I was in. Months go by unable to find a suitable replacement for that position so I could move up.

I finally find and recommend someone from ODT. By all accounts, he is doing a great job. And now I don't seem to have a job because my boss, the owner of the company, can't figure out anything for me to do now.

I know he works 7 days/week and as much as 15hrs/day, but he is unwilling to pass off any of his work to me to lighten his load. So he is paying me a 55k/yr salary to basically do nothing. I know this is not going to last very long if he can't figure out any thing to have me do.

I like the company and the salary is more than I have ever made, but it's looking more and more like I need to look for other options.

I was hoping to make it a career as I'm not particularly fond of bouncing around to dead end job after dead end job.

If anyone is looking for or knows someone who is looking for a reliable person who wants to work, I need to find something before I get laid off from this company. I don't have any particular skill set that I would consider myself anywhere near an expert, but I can learn to do almost anything. Would need to be decent pay and/or possibility of getting to decent pay.
55K a year? in this job market you will find better pay and probably better incentives.
But if you are doing little I’d ride it out a while, he may have something in the works you know nothing about.

I don't know everything he does that takes that much time. I did ask him to pass some of his workload off to me, but he wants to be in control of every little detail. He won't add another crew because the sales people aren't bringing in enough to keep 2 crews working regularly.

This is where you step in and either pep up the sales team if you have that authority or go push for new business. Take some initiative and be a leader and I am betting you will be rewarded for it

IP in Oglethorpe Georgia is hiring operators. It’s 4 on 4 off 12 hour days. Minimum starting pay is 20/ hour for a training status but within the year jumps up to 30/ hour. You cap at 42 / hour when you meet all your training criteria (usually within 5 years). Time and a half, 401k, medical, paid sick leave up to a year, COLA.

Alot of my operators make over 6 figures a year. A call in for 1 hour of work is automatic 4 hours of overtime.

IP in Oglethorpe Georgia is hiring operators. It’s 4 on 4 off 12 hour days. Minimum starting pay is 20/ hour for a training status but within the year jumps up to 30/ hour. You cap at 42 / hour when you meet all your training criteria (usually within 5 years). Time and a half, 401k, medical, paid sick leave up to a year, COLA.

Alot of my operators make over 6 figures a year. A call in for 1 hour of work is automatic 4 hours of overtime.

Is Shane still down there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That meeting has already happened. I told him I was willing to do whatever he needs. He said I should be working minimum 40 hrs a week for what he is paying me. I said I'll work 50/week if he will give me something to do. When he asked what I thought I should be doing, I told I thought I should be doing some of what he is doing so he isn't so busy he has to work 15 hrs a day or 7 days a week. I don't know what those things might be, but he isn't willing to give any of it up and said he doesn't need help doing any of it, even though he obviously does if he is spending that much time on it. I don't know what else I could have told him. He intially had said I would be ordering materials, scheduling installs, and handling all coordination with the roofing crews and directly supervising the guy I brought in.
"I don't know what those things might be"

That's not good. Your boss is working 105 hours a week and you don't know what he's doing.

55k a year and you’re in management?

Bro,forget that stress

They have booku jobs out there just simple jobs like warehouse work with no real responsibilities that pay more than that

Get out there and look

Just my thought. Go to wherever your boss is and get in his way. If he won't teach you, learn by watching him do whatever it is he does. You must have some idea of his duties.

Back
Top Bottom