• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Self Defense Law Question

A bat isn't considered a deadly weapon?
I can legally testify that I have LEO training for edge weapons that place a knife inside of 21 feet as an immediate imminent threat to my life. Obviously I cannot Just open fire unless there are actions consistent with an immediate threat. In the case of edged weapons inside this distance. Weapons out and pointing at the individual as well as commands to drop the knife or I will shoot.

The bat is certainly a weapon. To exercise lethal force against an individual wielding a bat will require more than mere possession and requires more than “he had a bat and I was scared” legal justification for use of lethal force.

Again the legal range for immediate fear for my life is shrinking down to a bat and a half. Again the judicial process is going to scrutinize any use of force.

If it’s not your job. Smart money says use you weapons as a show of force to effect an escape. If the situation escalates, you may have the stand you ground law on your side. I would rather have the police and district attorney not looking at me for prison time.

Unlike the video where you saw trash on trash fighting about trash. As a citizen I would keep my weapons out of sight until the point I was going to use them. I would also be looking for a way out of the situation. I have spent enough time in courts, and I don’t want to have to pay an attorney for defending myself when I could have exited the situation.

I can legally testify that I have LEO training for edge weapons that place a knife inside of 21 feet as an immediate imminent threat to my life. Obviously I cannot Just open fire unless there are actions consistent with an immediate threat. In the case of edged weapons inside this distance. Weapons out and pointing at the individual as well as commands to drop the knife or I will shoot.

The bat is certainly a weapon. To exercise lethal force against an individual wielding a bat will require more than mere possession and requires more than “he had a bat and I was scared” legal justification for use of lethal force.

Again the legal range for immediate fear for my life is shrinking down to a bat and a half. Again the judicial process is going to scrutinize any use of force.

If it’s not your job. Smart money says use you weapons as a show of force to effect an escape. If the situation escalates, you may have the stand you ground law on your side. I would rather have the police and district attorney not looking at me for prison time.

Unlike the video where you saw trash on trash fighting about trash. As a citizen I would keep my weapons out of sight until the point I was going to use them. I would also be looking for a way out of the situation. I have spent enough time in courts, and I don’t want to have to pay an attorney for defending myself when I could have exited the situation.
In this very specific situation anyone would have been justified to use deadly or whatever force they deemed nessesary.
And since the first shoot did not stop the threat and the person was still aggressive saying he would kill you, I think it would be a good shoot then as well.
Once the person has demonstrated his desire and ability to do “great bodily harm or death” to you. You are justified to use deadly force until the threat stops.

I believe that the aggressor in this case illicited willful intent in causing grave bodily harm with possible deadly consequences. To say that the threat had truly ended depends on the circumstances surrounding the aftermath of the defenders use of deadly force to defend themselves.

Was the primary aggressors hands visible? Did he retreat to a area where he was out of the line of sight of the defender?

Was the scene safe yet the defender still continued to fire kill to rather than terminate the threat?

Like the police, officers shoot to end the threat not to kill and I believe that applies here

And as a officer would think, you have no idea this guys intention. He could have a gun in his waste and pull it out and shoot you dead. You don’t know. All you know is that he displayed willful intent to end your life and to me that’s enough to end the threat in which ever way possible. But then it all plays back to the circumstances.

My 2 cents

Here's a hypothetical twist on a recent real case.
I'm also changing the facts to simplify things and highlight one issue.

A man verbally assaults you and threatens to kill you.
You draw your gun and tell him to stay away and leave you alone.

He curses you and goes to his car and gets a baseball bat (or knife).
He marches back toward you, cursing a blue streak and saying he'll kill you.
You verbally warn him, but when he gets "too close" and raises the bat (or knife) from spitting distance, YOU SHOOT AT HIM.

Let's say you are sure you hit him twice, and he winces and stops advancing. He turns away and trots a few steps away from you. You think it's over.

Then he stops, turns, and slings that bat (or knife) at you.
He threw it, from some 20 feet away. He really tried to kill you.
But he missed.
The bat / knife misses, and you hear it hit the ground behind you.

Can you pull the trigger again and put more bullets into him?

Discuss.

Georgia law applies.
What's the distance here?

Back
Top Bottom