• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sellers not wanting to ship

I generally distrust strangers. Heard too many stories of getting burned.

No problem if it is someone I've met or someone with great feedback.

This ^^^

I've also shipped low-dollar items to new folks on the site... After all we all have to start somewhere.

I find myself doing shipping more and more even for larger stuff. It's simply easier to get to the post office on my schedule than try and coordinate two busy people's lives and deal with traffic (normally) to save $8 in shipping.

I don't mind buying guns and having them shipped to me. That's why I have a C&R.

When I'm selling I do like to know there's a real person behind the deal. If it was a regular member with lots of feedback I probably would, but a newer member would have to be face to face.

This ^^^

I've also shipped low-dollar items to new folks on the site... After all we all have to start somewhere.

I find myself doing shipping more and more even for larger stuff. It's simply easier to get to the post office on my schedule than try and coordinate two busy people's lives and deal with traffic (normally) to save $8 in shipping.

I don't mind buying guns and having them shipped to me. That's why I have a C&R.

When I'm selling I do like to know there's a real person behind the deal. If it was a regular member with lots of feedback I probably would, but a newer member would have to be face to face.
If I am selling it will be near me.

I didn't read all of this but 1 major reason people won't ship is because they (seller) don't want to reveal his address to you. Plus there's no doubt about the condition if you saw it in person.

Reactions: STI
I don't particularly think I would want to ship anything. If I had a " Older on shelf- New in box "
item that would be easy. For me to take photos, give a description I think possibly the buyer might not like it, and I don't want a negative feedback.

Also shipping is more than tossing in the Post Office outgoing mail box. We have to wrap in protective wrapping, box, tape, label. IF WE HAVE ALL THAT STUFF JUST LAYING AROUND.

Just my reason, I would rather meet the ODTer face to face. Deal and shake hands knowing both are happy.

This.

Didn't read all of it either, but... the seller gets to decide if they want to ship or not, it's their cra... stuff. It can be an irritant if someone won't ship their item in a small flat rate box AND won't drive because they'll pay too much in gas to meet halfway. Really dude? How much do you think it's going to cost me?

I do make it clear (when I sell) that I will refund the purchase price if you aren't happy. I will not refund your shipping costs unless I screwed up the description. You buy as is and you pay shipping both ways. Until I have it back in my hands you get no refund.

This is supposed to be fun. If you aren't having fun you're doing it wrong.

I've been burned by shipping once on ODT, early on and years ago.

Recently, I shipped two or three things in the last month, and had no problem.

However, I have sold via evilBay and had two people claim the item, NIB, was "damaged" when they received it. The USPS has a great on-line claim service and if it's a tracked shipment you get some insurance coverage free. In both cases I asked the buyer to ship it back, on their dime, and filed a claim with USPS. I got paid both times. And the buyer got their refund. There are those folks out there that will "claim" that the item wasn't as described just to get it for free. They are thieves. :mad:

Here's a link to an older post by @SchmittZoid about shipping with tracking on non-priority mail.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/shipping-on-the-cheap-with-tracking-zoids-psa.1917005/

Gas is cheap now, but I'm busier than ever, so shipping is a great thing IMHO.

The PO provides the flat rate box, which has an adhesive strip (my small town post office folks usually tape the box for me too) All the shipper has to do is stuff it with old plastic shopping bags, scribble the address, pay and walk out. Not sure how this is harder than hopping in the truck that may or may not need gas, and spend 30 mins to 4 hours of your life driving to a meet and back.

The PO will mail you the empty boxes, you can print the mailing label on line, and you can print the postage online. You don't have to leave the basement but twice, to get the boxes, and to take the package to the mailbox.

The old plastic bags are a PITA anyway, because it's not easy to recycle them. I love a chance to mail them to someone else.

lets take firearms out of the equation and splain why a person wont ship stuff that fits in a box

I want to buy an airgun that's NIB.

Seller won't ship.

Tried to explain that it cost's me more than the item to drive to him, I'm perfectly willing to pay costs upfront.

Don't understand it.

The PO will mail you the empty boxes, you can print the mailing label on line, and you can print the postage online. You don't have to leave the basement but twice, to get the boxes, and to take the package to the mailbox.

The old plastic bags are a PITA anyway, because it's not easy to recycle them. I love a chance to mail them to someone else.
You one up’r. Don’t ever make something sound easier than I just made it sound again!

Cool with shipping good unless someone expects Amazon prime, free 2-day service. It's well worth the savings in the hassle of travel, and goes a long way towards helping each other out to work around our busy schedules; even though I haven't met a deplorable from here that I didn't like (and usually have a good chat with).

Back
Top Bottom