Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. 10 Year Anniversary Gun Show & Swap Meet - June 13 - Click here for tickets and click here for info!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  3. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling firearm collection across state lines

Thread in 'Law & Order' started by GAGunguy, Feb 21, 2020.

1. GAGunguy

GAGunguy The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

194   1

Rating
    99.4%
    I have a buddy that got a few guns when his father died. Most of them are not worth a lot and he is going to sell them to a friend locally in FL.

A couple of the guns may be worth enough that its worthwhile to list them. He doesn't have the time or patience to deal with it. He doesn't know anything about Gunbroker.

My question is: Can I list them on ODT and when it comes time to sell them bring them to a local GA FFL, do the transfer on a 4473 or does the owner have to do it? I've never sold anything at a FFL so I don't know the process. Does the owner have to sign anything during a sale?

Or can I list them on Gunbroker for him and then ship to the buyers FFL? Or does the owner have to do this from his home state?

Another option is for me to list them, and he keeps possession and ships the guns from FL when the sale is agreed upon. That seems like the most straightforward way to deal with this, but curious if there are other options.

He lives in FL, I obvious live in GA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. 3rd Rail

3rd Rail Frontiersman Supporter

Supporter

30   0

Rating
    100%
  3. jeep78

jeep78 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

25   0

Rating
    100%
    There are a few ffls that will sell consignments on gunbroker. If he can find one local to him, this is the best bet.

Otherwise, you may come across as the next Gary or Tom who "knows a guy in another state".

palmettomoon, Jeddak and Hayata like this.
  4. GAGunguy

Supporter

194   1

Rating
    99.4%
    Definitely don't want to be the next Gary or Tom.

A FFL consignment gunbroker idea sounds like the best option.

5. gh1950

gh1950 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

77   0

Rating
    100%
    First you don't say whether the guns are long guns or handguns, different rules for each class.

Secondly you can deliver a gun to an FFL for transfer just like UPS, Fed Ex, the post office. This is where the type gun becomes relevant because a handgun can only be transferred at a FFL in the state of residence of the purchaser.

6. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

35   0

Rating
    100%
    I have done no research on this, but I do not think it would be legal for a Georgia resident to become a sales agent for a Florida resident to arrange for the sale of a gun collection from Georgia.
    I doubt the FFL here in Georgia that you might use for a second tier (subsequent) interstate transfer would consider you to be the transferor of the firearm in the first place. Your friend in Florida would be the real transferor. So he'd need to come up here and do the paperwork at the FFL's himself.

GoNoGo likes this.
  7. GAGunguy

Supporter

194   1

Rating
    99.4%
    Thanks.