• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling Rifles from an Estate

Bryan2525

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
369   0
Reaction score
I will be getting several rifles from an estate.
They appear to be mostly what I would call hunting type rifles and shot guns. There are also several lever guns as well.
These appear to be older models. The man who owned them was a long time hunter.
I am unsure if there are any or what type of pistols involved yet as we have not looked for them.

I have been asked to try and place a value on the rifles and sell them if I am able.

I need some type of reference or gun sites besides gun broker and the famous ODT.

I am going to go over to the house today, take pictures and bring them home this afternoon.

Thanks,

Bryan2525

Well, you could spend 30+ years studying and collecting and talking to other collectors to get some idea of valuation OR you could simply hire a qualified appraiser and pay them for their time/expertise. I know, anathema to most here, but peoples' time and experience is worth something.

I need some type of reference or gun sites besides gun broker
I'm not sure what you mean by this but if they are common hunting type arms as it sounds, searching completed auctions for sold items is in fact, the market value today. You can get all sort of 'opinions' here or anywhere, but what they sell for is what they are 'worth'.
Will be interested to see what the collection has. Always sad to hear of these type sales. :grey:

I will be getting several rifles from an estate.
They appear to be mostly what I would call hunting type rifles and shot guns. There are also several lever guns as well.
These appear to be older models. The man who owned them was a long time hunter.
I am unsure if there are any or what type of pistols involved yet as we have not looked for them.

I have been asked to try and place a value on the rifles and sell them if I am able.

I need some type of reference or gun sites besides gun broker and the famous ODT.

I am going to go over to the house today, take pictures and bring them home this afternoon.

Thanks,

Bryan2525

Bryan, i would come up with a list and submit them here if you're selling the guns for the one which inherited them. If you're the one inheriting be quite about it.

If these are primarily older hunting rifles then imho an appraiser is not necessary. Between Gunbroker sold ads and Blue Book of Gun Values (I recommend the online version) it should easy to value the guns.
If you post pictures here then there are enough lever gun enthusiasts to point out any guns that might have collector value. Otherwise they are just hunting rifles.

If these are primarily older hunting rifles then imho an appraiser is not necessary. Between Gunbroker sold ads and Blue Book of Gun Values (I recommend the online version) it should easy to value the guns.
If you post pictures here then there are enough lever gun enthusiasts to point out any guns that might have collector value. Otherwise they are just hunting rifles.
But he said he doesn't want to use gunbroker or the ODT for the valuations. Not sure why he's posted here.

Well, you could spend 30+ years studying and collecting and talking to other collectors to get some idea of valuation OR you could simply hire a qualified appraiser and pay them for their time/expertise. I know, anathema to most here, but peoples' time and experience is worth something.
*GASP* I bet you think dealers deserve $25 for a transfer too!! Heathen!!

At minimum, get a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values so you can properly describe the condition of the firearms. "an 8 out of 10" is not the proper way to describe original finish remaining, or wood condition.

Back
Top Bottom