• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling to a 19 year old

Tcepp129

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
108   0
Reaction score
What are your thoughts? I don’t know him personally. He’s a cousin of a good friend, good kid too, Bali’s ga license, no priors. Got held up in his car over this past week and wants a handgun to keep with him. I know the law says you can own one at 18 but not purchase. Makes no sense but sure… anyone have experience with this?

I wouldn’t do it. He is a good kid till he shows off that gun to a friend and accidentally shoots him in the gut. Then when the police show up, your rear end is going to be in a sling. We all know that just because it’s legal, doesn’t mean a government agency won’t find a way to mess up your day. He is 19- if he really wanted a gun he could find another avenue. Your “good friend” I’m sure told their little cousin : you need a gun and can’t get one at the store, no problem I know a guy. Don’t get wrapped up in someone else’s B.S.

What are your thoughts? I don’t know him personally. He’s a cousin of a good friend, good kid too, Bali’s ga license, no priors. Got held up in his car over this past week and wants a handgun to keep with him. I know the law says you can own one at 18 but not purchase. Makes no sense but sure… anyone have experience with this?
Perfectly legal to sell to him. I treat 19 year olds like 39 year olds. Bad feeling? Pass.

More than 'is he a good kid' you should be asking 'can he use it safely and effectively'?

The legal part is no problem, especially in a car. But does he know how to use a gun to protect himself while not putting the people around him in danger? That's the part I would make sure of before moving forward.

If he thinks just having a gun is some kind of magic talisman, you might want to reconsider.

Or not... as mentioned above, selling it to him is perfectly legal, and you aren't directly responsible for how he uses it afterwards.

Maybe meet him at a range and shoot together. If you get any feeling he is a complete imbecile or otherwise not responsible, then say sorry can’t help.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
Even “some” good kids do stupid things when guns are involved. If he treats the gun and handles it like a mature adult then it’s your call. If he is turning it sideways and acting like a wanna be “bad ass” banger I would pass. In other words talk with him because I have seem young kids pull a gun at the start of an argument before.

Back
Top Bottom