• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling/trading firearms privately in Georgia... legal requirements.

Farmer_1

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
9   0
Reaction score
Not sure this is the correct forum for this discussion, but I was just wondering what others opinions were and what the actual, legal requirements are regarding the sale or purchase of firearms between private individuals in Georgia.

I've noticed a lot of ODT sellers don't require a bill of sale. However, I'm a little nervous about selling my firearms to people I don't know, or buying from private sellers (which I actually don't do often).

I've been told by some ODT members that there is no BOS or any other documentation required, as long as the buyer is a resident of Ga. That may well be the case. But what if you sell your handgun to someone, who is a legal resident of Ga, and that person sells it to someone else, who uses the gun in a crime, and gets caught, along with the gun, and they trace the gun back to you? You have no documentation to state who you sold the gun to. Are you in any legal trouble? My guess is that you may not be, but you still may need a lawyer, which is very expensive.

Like I said, I know I'm a little nervous and squeamish about this, but I'd need a BOS with the buyer's/seller's name, address, contact info, and a signature. The few firearms I've bought or sold privately in the past, the seller or buyer didn't mind completing the BOS.

The way I see it, Murphy's law is always lurking nearby.

Would like to hear the opinion of others...

Thanks!

ohboy.gif

You see my GA ID. We good. No copying anything. I have signed the only two BOS's I have ever did at deals "Kick Rocks" ...

can probably make it pretty simple

- is any documentation between private parties if both are Georgia citizens - nope, have cash will buy.
- will a bill of sale protect you against future litigation without still having to acquire a lawyer - prob not
- will no bill of sale actually hurt me against future litigation - prob not
- would you still remember where said piece of paper actually is if you ever needed in 10 years - prob not
- will requiring a bill of sale limit the number of folks interested in my item for sale - yes
- What if a bill of sale still makes me feel more comfortable - then go for it, its your ****.

I heard about a guy, a year or so ago, who sold a handgun to a private individual who buys, sells and trades firearms a lot, without an FFL. He said he got a knock on his front door one morning and it was two law enforcement officers who said they were investigating a crime involving a gun, and they traced the gun back to him. They wanted to know who he sold the gun to.

Guess I'm a worry wart, but this kind of thing can happen.

I heard about a guy, a year or so ago, who sold a handgun to a private individual who buys, sells and trades firearms a lot, without an FFL. He said he got a knock on his front door one morning and it was two law enforcement officers who said they were investigating a crime involving a gun, and they traced the gun back to him. They wanted to know who he sold the gun to.

Guess I'm a worry wart, but this kind of thing can happen.
I heard about a beaver who chewed through a metal light pole. Now I put plastic wrap on all my metal light poles because I heard beavers can't chew through plastic.

Back
Top Bottom