• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling/trading firearms privately in Georgia... legal requirements.

4.) The law recognizes two kinds of bad actions ---crimes and torts. "Crimes" can get you arrested. Doing a "tort" can get you sued if somebody is later injured as a consequence of your negligent behavior.

It is negligent, or even reckless, to sell a gun to a random stranger based on the late night meeting next to the dumpster in the parking lot of a waffle house? With no ID check, no questions, no bill of sale?

I don't know that the courts have ever taken up this question and considered it and given us a clear answer ---so right now I would have to say "probably not" there is no liability for selling a gun to another Georgia resident that way. But you could become the FIRST gun seller to have his case work its way up through the courts. The ruling in your case, could clarify the question for future generations, and it may or may not go in your favor (our favor).

So you sell a gun to someone who goes on and kills some people with it. Now the family of the victims want to sue.

What's a better defense Mr lawyer man?

A) Providing a bill of sale proving you sold it to the man.

B) Providing a statement that you can't recall who you sold it to?

So you sell a gun to someone who goes on and kills some people with it. Now the family of the victims want to sue.

What's a better defense Mr lawyer man?

A) Providing a bill of sale proving you sold it to the man.

B) Providing a statement that you can't recall who you sold it to?
giphy.gif

A BOS in GA is not required by law. I don't want to give PII to individuals that I don't know what they will use it for.

Second, find me an actual court case where an individual in GA was saved by having a BOS.

Even if you do fill out a BOS, who certified it? Did you have it notorized? Who is to say someone didn't just make it up/

Let's say you get your BOS. Person you sold the firearm to someone who says that they are a legal gun owner. But, you didn't do a background check. Some how, some way (highly unlikely at best) cops come searching for you. You hand them the BOS. Turns out, the guy you sold it to is not a legal purchaser. All you did was hand them the piece of paper that will allow them to put you in prison. "Sir, put your hands behind your back and come with us. Peacefully."

Pretty hard to make a case for a BOS in GA without looking like a fool. If you are so concerned, meet at an FFL, pony up the $50 or whatever they want, and do a transfer.

I heard that a guy shot his wife then made up a bill of sale showing that he sold his gun to a neighbor he didn't like and forged the neighbors signature by going through his mail. The neighbor was charged with murder and is serving 100 to life whichever comes first. I heard it on the internet so it must be true.

Funny story - ish. Meet up the other day to buy a rifle from a guy on here. Super nice guy. He wants a BOS. I put some random info on there. He never even asked to see a copy of my GA DL, WCP, oe anything showing I was a resident of GA. But just had to have a damn BOS.

Funny story - ish. Meet up the other day to buy a rifle from a guy on here. Super nice guy. He wants a BOS. I put some random info on Dthere. He never even asked to see a copy of my GA DL, WCP, oe anything showing I was a resident of GA. But just had to have a damn BOS.

I've signed one as James Homeslice before.

Back
Top Bottom