• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling/trading firearms privately in Georgia... legal requirements.

Does buying or transferring a Firearm at a FFL clear the gun as "clean" and ya know..Not stolen?

(Yes..I already know the answer but I'm curious to see some answers)

I'll play.

"NO"

The few times I have even corresponded with someone insisting on a BOS, I ask them if we can meet at the Sheriff's office to have the numbers on the gun run, and the sellers are strangely reticent to do that.

[QUOTE="palmettomoon, post: 9431251,
You want my personal info? Go to BATFE and fill out your license application, get a B&M store, pay your fees. Then I give you my data when I buy a gun from you. Until then? Junior G-man FFL wannabe? GFY.[/QUOTE]

ezgif-2-15572201dca9.gif

Not sure this is the correct forum for this discussion, but I was just wondering what others opinions were and what the actual, legal requirements are regarding the sale or purchase of firearms between private individuals in Georgia.

I've noticed a lot of ODT sellers don't require a bill of sale. However, I'm a little nervous about selling my firearms to people I don't know, or buying from private sellers (which I actually don't do often).

I've been told by some ODT members that there is no BOS or any other documentation required, as long as the buyer is a resident of Ga. That may well be the case. But what if you sell your handgun to someone, who is a legal resident of Ga, and that person sells it to someone else, who uses the gun in a crime, and gets caught, along with the gun, and they trace the gun back to you? You have no documentation to state who you sold the gun to. Are you in any legal trouble? My guess is that you may not be, but you still may need a lawyer, which is very expensive.

Like I said, I know I'm a little nervous and squeamish about this, but I'd need a BOS with the buyer's/seller's name, address, contact info, and a signature. The few firearms I've bought or sold privately in the past, the seller or buyer didn't mind completing the BOS.

The way I see it, Murphy's law is always lurking nearby.

Would like to hear the opinion of others...

Thanks!

-Hey man, you wanna buy this gun?

-Yeh

Boom. Done deal as far as Im concerned.

I dont mind signing a bill of sale with my name and dl number. I'm not sure why most people are against it actually. But your crazy if you think I'm going to hand anyone I dont know my personal address.

I sold a hipoint a while back to a member on here and it was later used in a crime. (FFL that I am friends with gave me a call about it) No law enforcement ever asked me about it.

Also when it comes to a bill of sale, I just ask for name and DL number. I don't want anymore info than that.

I honestly think you are overthinking this.

I sold a hipoint a while back to a member on here and it was later used in a crime. (FFL that I am friends with gave me a call about it) No law enforcement ever asked me about it.

Also when it comes to a bill of sale, I just ask for name and DL number. I don't want anymore info than that.

I honestly think you are overthinking this.
What?!?!?!?! You mean the cops didn't come bust down your door and arrest you???? You didn't have to spend $50,000 on a mouthpiece to keep you out of prison!?!?!?!?
What about ALL the "conventional wisdom" on the innernets that says you need a bill of sail????!? For your protection!???! How on Earth did you convince the poleece you weren't the one using the Hi-Point!?!?!?

Just don’t buy, sell or trade a firearm if it isn’t right for you. People go into pawn shops and gun stores every day to sell them because of the same concerns. No big deal.

Back
Top Bottom