• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Semi auto shotguns for hunting

MRH

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
God, family, guitars, and guns.
208   0
Reaction score
Which is your favorite? I am going to get another semi auto shotguns for turkey, dove, deer, etc. I love the Browning A5 and other Browning models, but I am open to others. I am looking for reliability first and foremost, along with shootability. Has anyone tried the Franchi? I am hoping to keep the cost to well below $1k, but for the sake of keeping it real, let's say $1k and less. What are some good options based on personal experience? Anyone?

I’ve personally had two Franchi Affinitys, Beratta A300, and a Stoeger M3500. I still have the affinity’s. Now they make a Affintiy 3.5, if you need the 3.5” chamber. The stoeger functioned fine, but was heavy and to me wasn’t as well built as the franchi. The A300 was put together well, functioned well, I just shot the affinity better. Plus I like the inertia driven system better. I’ve shot everything from the lightest loads I can find to full boar turkey loads and haven’t had a hiccup. Dissembly is also a breeze!

Reactions: MRH
I’ve personally had two Franchi Affinitys, Beratta A300, and a Stoeger M3500. I still have the affinity’s. Now they make a Affintiy 3.5, if you need the 3.5” chamber. The stoeger functioned fine, but was heavy and to me wasn’t as well built as the franchi. The A300 was put together well, functioned well, I just shot the affinity better. Plus I like the inertia driven system better. I’ve shot everything from the lightest loads I can find to full boar turkey loads and haven’t had a hiccup. Dissembly is also a breeze!

I've been looking closely at the Franchi. They seem to get good reviews, mostly. Thanks for chiming in.

The Franchi is a well built gun. Barrel and extension is hard chromed, and the receiver is aluminum. They are long recoil Browning design. As such you have to set the spring system to your desired load. You can't mix hunting loads and cheapy walmart loads, it is one or the other.

Folks that have trouble with Franchis fail on ammo selection.

I have a SBE 1 & Franchi Intensity 3.5”. Both are good & will eat anything. My buddy bought a used SBE 2 like new last week for $1000—-deals can be found.

CZ makes some pretty nice semi-autos and they are pretty much all under $500. I love my CZ-920, but I would like to try a Franchi one day. Weatherby is another sub-$1k option, but I have no experience with them and havent heard much about them.

Back
Top Bottom