• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Senators Ginn, Staton Kill SB 101 with help from Lt. Gov Cagle

I would rather stick with current law than to impose a mandatory training requirement. I'm not optimistic that anything worthwhile will come out in the end tonight.

Although it would suck to go through mandatory training, but it would almost make me feel better that ppl are more prepared, trained, & know a little more abt the law.

Joey two years ago a citizen was shot by an off duty LEO that was acting as a trainer in SC while in a mandated training class. Three years ago 2 LE were shot and killed in 2 separate POST training classes by POST certified officers.

There are no studies that suggest that mandated training makes folks safer.

When I decided to carry, I made damn sure I knew I knew how the gun I was sticking inside my pants operated.

So the opt-in stuff that is attached is agreed upon? Now "training" is being mandated. Training should be encouraged but never mandated for a "right".

Campus carry on public colleges, except dorms and athletic events
Campus carry on private colleges if the president adopts a policy permitting it
Government building carry where no security screening or courthouse and permitting a way to escape arrest once you see security screening
Church carry if the church permits carry
Removal of fingerprints at renewal time (saves time and $45)
Broader preemption both as to governing entities (boards, agencies, housing authorities) and weapons (everything in the broad school definition)
Changing the general right to "forbid" firearms on private property to a restatement of criminal trespass
18-20 carry for honorably discharged vets
Some level of school security enhancements by personnel already at schools
Airport carry trying to make the state prove intent to bypass the metal detectors
Clarifying that the unsecured area of an airport is not a government building or otherwise off limits

GeorgiaCarry is also seeking other changes but the most important and pressing is removal of the Opt-In language.

Joey two years ago a citizen was shot by an off duty LEO that was acting as a trainer in SC while in a mandated training class. Three years ago 2 LE were shot and killed in 2 separate POST training classes by POST certified officers.

There are no studies that suggest that mandated training makes folks safer.

When I decided to carry, I made damn sure I knew I knew how the gun I was sticking inside my pants operated.
I understand that & you can take it even further to say even the military has friendly fire. That's why I put the almost in there. With a right like that comes great responsibility. We as civilians have the responsibility to vote but we don't all take it serious or know exactly how all the legislative process works. We take american govt in middle school but it doesn't mean we know it all. As a side note: the liberals must've taken a different American Govt class than I did.

So the opt-in stuff that is attached is agreed upon? Now "training" is being mandated. Training should be encouraged but never mandated for a "right".

Nothing has been agreeded upon, and it appears it won't be, as the conference committee has been stymied by Republician Senator Ginn trying to have mandated training added for all Georgians added, among other unpalatable things.

Back
Top Bottom