• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serial number field in postings / checking stolen firearm SN's

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, considering recent threads like these:
Is there a way to check a firearm's SN before setting up a trade or sale with someone on ODT?

Would you mods or Okuma Okuma support adding a SN field for when you post something, just to promote "above-boardedness" on a transaction? I know it'd probably be optional, but it might make everyone feel better if a trader were willing to put that kind of info in a listing.

Although it's probably a rare occurrence considering how many trades happen, I for one, don't want to risk losing out if there's a chance I might hand $$$ over to a lying or unsuspecting trader where there's a stolen firearm involved.

Just a site feedback idea. Lemme know if I'm just nervous for nothing. Thanks.

I would agree. I wouldn’t like to think that a weapon I was involved with was stolen. I don’t know how to do it. But if the serial numbers are required information, a mechanism can be put in place to identify the potential for a problem.

As a law abiding citizen I would like to see the weapon returned to the owner

Playing devils advocate What’s to stop some idiot from reporting it stolen and saying he has record or a BOS and he draws one up where he bought that weapon from Joe Schmo. If you are worried then ask the seller the SN in PMs before moving forward. Not sure SNs should be public info.

I used to worry about this kind of stuff until the fluoride in the municipal water supply reached critical mass in my fatty tissues. now the government can just track me by my fluoride signature at 'sniffing stations' all over the U.S.
red-blue-fire-hydrant-compressor.jpg

This situation is best handled by choosing who you do business with wisely before you actually buy anything. If you think the deal's dicey, don't buy it.

With used guns, it's gonna be hard to tell, because the only way to know for sure is by calling the ATF to check the SN. If the gun comes back hot, they will have the local police contact you and ask that you return the gun (or the seller could be contacted). Either way, someone in that transaction is losing the gun and most likely whatever money they had invested in it.

Good news is that the gun might make it's way back to the original owner, but most sellers are not going to want to wage the risk of a gun coming back stolen and having to chase down whoever they bought the gun from and asking for their money back, etc.

If you had the SN there is no real way to check it. There is no database of stolen firearms. The local PD may have a list of stolen firearms but it would only be ones that were reported stolen to them. Same with Sheriff and State Police. ATF has no way of looking up a SN and telling you it is not stolen. Most police agencies do not share this info from one dept to another so calling Athens PD will not tell you if it was stolen from Gainesville. The best bet is to always keep a record of transactions and if someone from law enforcement knocks on your door you should always be able to tell them who you bought it from and who you sold it to if you no longer have it. That is really about all there is that you can do. I am a licensed FFL and I have no way to check and see if a firearm is stolen or not.

Back
Top Bottom