• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serial number field in postings / checking stolen firearm SN's

If you had the SN there is no real way to check it. There is no database of stolen firearms. The local PD may have a list of stolen firearms but it would only be ones that were reported stolen to them. Same with Sheriff and State Police. ATF has no way of looking up a SN and telling you it is not stolen.
That’s really surprising to me, never knew.

There is no database of stolen firearms. The local PD may have a list of stolen firearms but it would only be ones that were reported stolen to them. Same with Sheriff and State Police. ATF has no way of looking up a SN and telling you it is not stolen. Most police agencies do not share this info from one dept to another so calling Athens PD will not tell you if it was stolen from Gainesville.

I must respectfully disagree. Not a single statement above is factually correct. There is a state and national database of stolen firearms. It is called GCIC / NCIC. Most, if not all, law enforcement agencies report / enter stolen firearms into these databases. By entering this information, ALL of the agencies are in fact sharing information. This first requires that the owner of the stolen firearm files a police report and then the agency enters it. Any law enforcement officer can run a gun to see if it has been reported stolen. However, guns that have been stolen and the owner fails to report it or the owner does not know the serial number, then these guns are not entered. Hundreds, maybe thousands of guns are checked each day in this country by law enforcement to see if they have been reported stolen and many stolen firearms are recovered each day. If you think you have a stolen firearm, then contact your local law enforcement agency by telephone using a non-emergency number and have them dispatch an officer out to see you. DO NOT walk into an agency with the firearm in your hand and ask that it be checked.

Well, I will gladly admit that I could be wrong. If you say they will check a number for you then I will take your word for it. I have been told otherwise in the past. I will rephrase my earlier statement. There is no database (that I know of) for stolen firearms that is available for civilian use.

Yes there is NCIC and it is available to pretty much any law enforcement agency. I have used it many times my self back when I was in that line of work but it is still only as good as the info that is fed into it and many local agencies do not report stolen property to NCIC. I know a few people in LE and they tell me the same thing. I have asked some of them in the past if they could check one for me and was told that they could but it would likely be a waste of time since many agencies did not report to NCIC and I have also been told by others that they would not check it because that was not their job. NCIC and GCIC have a database of reported stolen property.
Um, ok that is a lot different from what you wrote in the earlier post. :confused2:

DO NOT walk into an agency with the firearm in your hand and ask that it be checked.
Lol good tip!

I really don't see how it is. In fact it is exactly what I said before. They both have a database of stolen property. Not specifically stolen firearms and neither is of much use if agencies do not report the stolen items to them. Also, those agencies are for Law enforcement use. Most of them will not check a serial number for you. I honestly did not come on here to start an argument. My whole point is the only thing you can really do is keep records of who you bought and sold to and use common sense when it comes to who you deal with. Just like the ATF told me, if the deal seams off it probably is.
So if I report my gun as stolen to my local law enforcement, they are not required to enter that info in to a system that is used specifically for finding stolen items? Is it just left up to how Barney is feeling that particular Tuesday?

Any LEO's want to weigh in?

So if I report my gun as stolen to my local law enforcement, they are not required to enter that info in to a system that is used specifically for finding stolen items? Is it just left up to how Barney is feeling that particular Tuesday?

Any LEO's want to weigh in?
Yes, I believe they are. I did a little reading about reporting requirements of LE to GCIC. I apparently was previously misinformed. Sorry if I put out any false info. Learned something new today.

Back
Top Bottom