• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serial numbers—Be mindful

Never understood why you would want to show serial numbers in photos anyway. Used to think some nutjob might report the serial # stolen. Highly unlikely, but that was my thought. Now I just cover it up because I don't want to give away that specific information. If someone wants a date code or something that is fine.

Never understood why you would want to show serial numbers in photos anyway. Used to think some nutjob might report the serial # stolen. Highly unlikely, but that was my thought. Now I just cover it up because I don't want to give away that specific information. If someone wants a date code or something that is fine.
So what if the serial number is exposed? Is the gun originating from you? Yes? You bought it? Then what's the worry? You went through FFL to buy it and passed a background check. If It's not, then it's not going to come back to you anyways and likely will be traded 4 or 5 times by the time anyone even bothers to look at the serial.

So what if the serial number is exposed? Is the gun originating from you? Yes? You bought it? Then what's the worry? You went through FFL to buy it and passed a background check. If It's not, then it's not going to come back to you anyways and likely will be traded 4 or 5 times by the time anyone even bothers to look at the serial.
It doesn't really matter. I'm not worried. Just another thing where if I am posting more or less information online, I'll choose less.
That is, if it's okay with you. ;)

It doesn't really matter. I'm not worried. Just another thing where if I am posting more or less information online, I'll choose less.
That is, if it's okay with you. ;)
I'm not dictating what you should do, just debating the merits of hiding serials, which I think are based on unfounded fears and paranoia. Your guns, your choice.

Back
Top Bottom