• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serious rust issues - best way to remove

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I have a gun with serious rust issues. Some of the rust is in hard to reach places.

What is the best way to take off the rust? I expect there to be some pitting, and the finish is shot, so those aren't really issues.

I just want to get the rust off and stop further rusting.

BTW, it's a revolver, not a long gun.

I have a gun with serious rust issues. Some of the rust is in hard to reach places.

What is the best way to take off the rust? I expect there to be some pitting, and the finish is shot, so those aren't really issues.

I would disassemble it and drop the rusted parts into a bath of EvapoRust for a day or two. It will probably discolor or remove the blue, but it's an effective product that I've used on old reloading equipment, dies, tools, and gun parts.

It's not a rust converter or phosphating solution, it removes rust through a chelating process. The advantage over mechanical abrasion is that it will lift rust out of the corrosion pits.

After removal from the solution, rinse the parts in fresh water, dry, and oil to protect.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

How about SchmittZoid SchmittZoid 's miracle polishing cloths?

The MIracle Rags will do a very nice job on red rust if it is in the light freckling stage. If there is a concern about pitting, or something close to what Deadpool is sporting, I HIGHLY recommend a product called Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner.

http://big45.com/

Zoid Approved alternate cleaning product!

Regardless of what you might read elsewhere, do NOT use steel wool before trying Big 45 Frontier. Brass wool is a viable option, but doesn't work as well as B45.

It absolutely will NOT harm any remaining bluing, nickel, or browning on your guns. Best in class rust removal product. Watch the video, it's a bit long, but this stuff really works.

And that's coming from a guy who hawks polishing cloths. I don't sell B45, I am a convert.

http://big45.com/ . . . . . but you can find it on eBay or Amazon too.

Back
Top Bottom