• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Service Rifle - High Power In Georgia - What I've Been Up To

mikefromphilly

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
To my RnG brothers, I miss you and look forward to running with you in 2022.

After Riverbend RnG, I decided to put my head down and make a run at earning a Distinguished Rifleman badge (DR). The DR is something that I dreamed about earning since Nixon was president but was completely impossible because of my poor eyesight. Last year, I spent nearly $8K on cataract surgery which profoundly improved the quality of my life and rekindled my childhood dream.

The Distinguished Rifleman badge is one of 3 marksmanship awards authorized by the US government. To earn the badge, one needs to score in the top 10% of non-Distinguished shooters at an Excellence in Competition match (EIC). There have been little over 8,200 badges issued since the program’s inception in the late 1800’s. So far 2,541 civilian badges have been awarded since 1925 when the award was opened up to non-Military. In 2020, 29 badges were earned and so far, this year 27 have been earned. Earning this award is tough and everyone who has earned it deserves a great amount of respect and be held in awe.

By my math, a shooter needs to earn at least 96% of the points possible to be in the running, unless the Marines show up and then there is no hope. This is a static positional shooting competition that includes standing, sitting, and prone with slow single load fire portions and rapid-fire portions. The shooting techniques and challenges are different for each stage of fire.

The slow-prone to 600 yards stage is like a sniper or small-bore match whereas the rapid sitting and prone is close to what we do in RnG. Rapid prone is my favorite as I can pound away in RnG style …. Fast with wild abandon. Standing has proven to be hardest to master since the needed stance is so different than a pistol or a 3-Gun/RnG stance. Every day, I practice the standing position.

There are several nearby clubs that have EIC competitions scheduled in the next couple months:
NRA High Power is like CMP Service Rifle with two differences: In CMP Service Rifle, there are no sighters and the rapid stages start from the standing position. Clubs that host High Power are:
  • Riverbend – the second Saturday of the month. This is a full course event with pit duty and out to 600 yards. Anytime you can shoot at Riverbend is special. On the second Sunday, they do a 3 x 600 yard match where any rifle can participate, even our RnG guns.
  • South River – the first Saturday of the month. This is a walk and paste match meaning the longest distance is 300 yards and there isn’t pit duty. Basically, you shoot each stage and then walk to your targets to score.
  • Talladega – the fourth Saturday of the month. This is the most efficient match I’ve ever shot. It’s all electronic and everyone shot the same stage at the same time from one position. Load, shoot, load, shoot, etc. We finished the match in 1 ½ hours. The total distance that I walked in the match was less than 25 feet. The experience was exhilarating.
  • Appleseed – The A/S course of fire is similar to Service Rifle, especially the KD events. There is a KD in Pelham TN (north of Chattanooga) on Dec 31. https://goappleseednow.org/?event=pelham-tn-known-distance-appleseed-december-31-2021
The folks that run the matches and fellow shooters have been awesome. Very friendly, welcoming, helpful, and supportive. The matches are very fun and the day goes by too fast. Despite being a simple course of fire, the matches are very challenging. I’m hooked! Come join me!

Start practicing, when you can shoot a minimum of 475 any day and your first shot at 600 is an X you're ready. Its a different game these days though with the adoption of optics, I legged out with iron sights. Ft Benning and Ft Gordon used to have HP programs pre 9/11, I think Chattahoochee Rifle Club in Columbus still uses Easley range at Ft Benning, James and Gus. I legged at Camp Blanding NC which has a decent range wind at 600 is readable. Pt St Lucie in Fla has an EIC with their Snowbird match in Feb IIRC. Oak Ridge has a nice range, I legged there too, has a thousand yard range also, very readable wind. I have not been to Talladega, too many horror stories about electronic targets missing shots and causing -10 for a miss. My home range is River Bend, I legged there three times, wind can be pretty tricky there. Though it will never be again what it was in the past a pilgrimage to Camp Perry in OH for the Nationals can be a good place to earn a 10pt leg as well as the President's 100 tab (top 100 scores in a 30 shot match). The P100 and Distinguished badges are the most sought after trophies in service rifle competition, they are the only military badges that can be earned by civilians.

There are fewer civilian distinguished rifleman badges than there are names on the Stanley Cup or player Super Bowl rings.

Ignoramace wants to know what gear is used. Cool info guys!!!
Here are the CMP rules governing service riles.
https://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/

The most necessary and expensive accessory is a good spotting scope and stand, the second most is a shooting coat, other equip, some sort of cart to tote your poop around and sit on when you are scoring. glove, sling, mat. clipboard, pen. EMPTY CHAMBER INDICATER at least two 20rnd mags (5 is better) NRA style matches are 50 or 80 rounds for record and 2 sighting shots for each 20round string (58 and 88rnds respectively)

First timers, I would highly recommend the 4th Saturday of the month attending the 100yrd highpower clinic at Riverbend. If you want to learn position 'across the course' shooting that's where I learned 22 years ago. Match Director is Ben, tell 'em Carbinekid sent you! First lesson, the two fundamentals of shooting are sight alignment and trigger control!
One important caveat is this is a no optics match*^^^

Anyone still shooting XC matches or Garand matches?
Yes! While the genre has declined in the last decade there are still many active programs. RBGC.org event calendar will show probably the most available regular open to the public matches. NRA, CMP and even a monthly clinic that I still regularly attend after 22 years. The Rifleman's match, the biggest southeastern M1 match weekend is on the last day of Arpil/1st of May this year . There is a range in Rome that has regular matches I'm told but have not been yet. South River GC has a rifle program, Ft Benning and Ft Gordon used to have XC programs but I'm not sure if they still do or not.

I'll be shooting a stick at the 100yrd match clinic tomorrow at RBGC. 50shots for record on reduced targets, unlimited sighters, no optics though it you have a current service rifle.

Equipment to loan for noobs that want to try it out, hit me up!

Yes! While the genre has declined in the last decade there are still many active programs. RBGC.org event calendar will show probably the most available regular open to the public matches. NRA, CMP and even a monthly clinic that I still regularly attend after 22 years. The Rifleman's match, the biggest southeastern M1 match weekend is on the last day of Arpil/1st of May this year . There is a range in Rome that has regular matches I'm told but have not been yet. South River GC has a rifle program, Ft Benning and Ft Gordon used to have XC programs but I'm not sure if they still do or not.

I'll be shooting a stick at the 100yrd match clinic tomorrow at RBGC. 50shots for record on reduced targets, unlimited sighters, no optics though it you have a current service rifle.

I know you

Back
Top Bottom