• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Share your Turkey pics and stories

3713.jpeg 3708.jpeg 3644.jpeg My ginger just got her 1st turkey, a jake. OMG the excitement. Getting ready to go back for me one, the emu! :-)

My only bird from last season. Made a 100 yard long belly crawl to get set up on a long, narrow food plot. Some soft purring and clucks sealed the deal. Took him 15 minutes to come my way but patience rewarded me with a 45 yard shot at him. Solid 2 year old bird. Not a giant, but a great hunt indeed!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The first kill for my Late-Cousin's Benelli Nova and my first time killing a bird with Longbeard XR turkey loads. 2 seasons ago.
image.jpeg

A few seasons ago..... I tried to decoy this bird in to 5 yards. The hen fell for it and came to within mere feet of me but he hung back at 35 yards. His beard is barely visible behind his head.
image.jpeg

My second biggest bird ever. Killed him on May 8, 2009. 22# 11.5" beard, 1&3/8" spurs. Killed him in the evening about 30 minutes after killing a solid 3 year old bird in a different setup. I missed both of those birds in the same setup a month prior. Talk about redemption.
image.jpeg

My only bird from last season. Made a 100 yard long belly crawl to get set up on a long, narrow food plot. Some soft purring and clucks sealed the deal. Took him 15 minutes to come my way but patience rewarded me with a 45 yard shot at him. Solid 2 year old bird. Not a giant, but a great hunt indeed! View attachment 735646View attachment 735647
Congrats, That is a killer place for pictures.

We got in the woods last Friday and set up in a couple of blinds that were about 750 yards apart on a long narrow food plot. There were 2 turkeys that started gobbling in between us at 7:30am. They were still on the roost and were gathering hens. They flew down and never made another peep and moved across the creek. We sat in the blinds all morning trying to call them in with no luck. We left them alone for the day and came up with a plan. Sat morning we set up on the ground either side of where we thought the turkeys had been and sat and waited. Not a single gobble for the first hour. I thought I heard a faint gobble but there were crows and all kinds of other birds making noise and it was hard to tell. 5 minutes later I heard it again and was sure it was a gobbler and he was up on the food plot. I moved up slowly while listening. He had already crossed the food plot and was moving towards my buddy. I sent him a text and listened. He gobbled a couple more times and shut up. I figured he had hens with him. I moved down towards where I last heard him and quietly set up under a holly tree. I made some soft calls and then shut up. I was sitting there hearing and seeing nothing for 40 minutes and decided to do a couple of soft clucks and purrs. I called and shut up. A few minutes later I heard a hen cluck up the hill. I sat and waited for her to come down. 5 minutes later the gobbler walked straight to me. He came to within 25 yards and I dropped him. The hen was right behind him. I've hunted my club 3 years and have never been able to close the deal. I've worked them to within 70 yards but they were always hanging up out of range. I was happy to get the monkey off of my back. 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs.
turkey.jpg

Back
Top Bottom