Sharpen a knife scary sharp in under 2 minutes

troutman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
53   0
Reaction score
20170709_184405.jpg
20170710_122355.jpg

I saw this on You Tube and decided to try it out.
The first wheel is a piece of mdf with white polishing compound applied to it
This is the wheel used to sharpen the blade.

The second is 5 pieces of leather glued together to hone the blade.

Turn the grinder around so the wheels spin away from you.

Since the grinding surface is mdf and polishing compound, you don't have to worry about grinding too much off.

What is the RPM of the motor? Looks like a good method, especially if it doesn't heat the steel. I use the Apex-Pro, but it gets tedious at times...especially with some of the "super steels" (SV30, etc.) Cool!

I need to figure out some way of doing it because I SUCK at sharpening knives.

Exactly the reason I did this. I've tried the Lansky and Apex Pro as well as spending hundreds of dollars on Japanese wet stones with no luck. I looked at the Wicked Edge system, but the cost along with everybody I know that buys it, usually doesn't use it because it is a lot harder than it looks.

Most companies that sharpen knives use a system similar to this.

I have around $100 in the whole thing, including grinder.

What is the RPM of the motor? Looks like a good method, especially if it doesn't heat the steel. I use the Apex-Pro, but it gets tedious at times...especially with some of the "super steels" (SV30, etc.) Cool!

This one is 3450, which I thought would be a little fast. But, it seems to work pretty good. I have the Apex and like you, it is tedious! My ADD usually kicks in about halfway through.

I sharpened 3 ESEE'S and my user ZT as well as all our kitchen knives in about 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom