• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

sharpener question

I have a Buck 110 LT and a 4 inch piece of leather from a belt. I will add moisture to the leather and strop the blade a few times. I only use this blade on animals. I have an Alox Pioneer SAK to pry , scrape , and poke with.

bro, i cant seem to learn how to sharpen a damn knife to save my soul.
i have that stupid ass lansky kit too.
ive tried and ive tried. would love to have this skill under my belt.
just not happening for me.
Oh, I don’t cringe at the question, I cringe at the recurring mention of pull through carbide “sharpeners” that just peel steel from the edge of a blade. There is a big difference between peeling away steel and honing or stropping a blade. They are kinda like sharpening a pencil with a swing of hatchet. You my lose more than you gain.
(Good thing is, everyone gets to treat their stuff how THEY choose.)

Oh, I don’t cringe at the question, I cringe at the recurring mention of pull through carbide “sharpeners” that just peel steel from the edge of a blade. There is a big difference between peeling away steel and honing or stropping a blade. They are kinda like sharpening a pencil with a swing of hatchet. You my lose more than you gain.
(Good thing is, everyone gets to treat their stuff how THEY choose.)
i get it. if i knew a better way i would do it.
its funny to me in a way. of all the things i know how to do damn knife sharpening escapes me.
i wanna see it done in person if ever possible. that way i can ask questions along the way.
gotta be a class somewhere on this lol. hell i dont know what to buy even to get started. get the lansky system
everybody said. its ESAY they said. bs, it made no difference in my hands. still dual knives. lol
im sude its mostly the idiot trying to sharpen the knife but the lansky was no learning help. to the trash it goes.

I have had this for over 20 years. It’s all I use on kitchen knives.

1787495B-047A-4075-97EA-636035951A17.jpeg

Get a bunch of the Frost cutlery knives for about $1/each in a package and practice all you want. If you can get them sharp, you will have mastered the skill. Just watch your fingers as the quality is low on how they are made.

Back
Top Bottom