• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shield 9mm slide difficulty

At this point I can't retract the slide far enough to use a takedown lever at all. Unless there is another way to actuate the takedown mechanism?
I just tried putting my slide on the edge of a wood table & pushing down with one hand to see if I could turn the takedown lever before I got to the slide lock. Maybe, but probably not. With two backups, it's probably worth just sending it in.

Update:
Took it back to AO where I bought it and they whacked to slide to get it open. Looked like a bad recoil spring/assembly. When they put the spring and rod on the counter and rolled it, you could see that it was not uniform.

They sent it back to Smith for me, and it came back after about 6 weeks with a new recoil spring. I know AO has it's problems, but they didn't even charge me for shipping or anything else.

I have no idea how it went bad. I can't have more than a couple of hundred rounds through it and I only shoot factory ammo.
Just a FYI update.

The Shield is my primary EDC and has been since it's birth. The recoil assembly is designed to handle +p ammo and is stiff on all Shields. I swapped mine long ago with a SS guide rod assembly from SS guide rods. There is a significant difference in required force to manipulate the slide. You give up +P capability with the SS guide rod but I don't run them anyways.

Update:
Took it back to AO where I bought it and they whacked to slide to get it open. Looked like a bad recoil spring/assembly. When they put the spring and rod on the counter and rolled it, you could see that it was not uniform.

They sent it back to Smith for me, and it came back after about 6 weeks with a new recoil spring. I know AO has it's problems, but they didn't even charge me for shipping or anything else.

I have no idea how it went bad. I can't have more than a couple of hundred rounds through it and I only shoot factory ammo.
Just a FYI update.
I'm glad you were taken care of. My PC shield was fairly stiff as well when new, but after a box of Winchester white box it's much more manageable.

Back
Top Bottom