• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping a handgun

smokey30725

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
115   0
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this, but I wanted to put it out there anyway. I have a friend who lives in Missouri that wants to send me a Heritage 22 revolver. He wants to ship it FedEx or UPS and wants to remove the cylinder and ship the frame and cylinder separately so that it doesn't constitute shipping an actual firearm. It's my understanding that the serial numbered part of the gun is considered the actual firearm, so the frame would still be deemed a firearm and have to ship to an FFL. Am I correct in this?

I think I know the answer to this, but I wanted to put it out there anyway. I have a friend who lives in Missouri that wants to send me a Heritage 22 revolver. He wants to ship it FedEx or UPS and wants to remove the cylinder and ship the frame and cylinder separately so that it doesn't constitute shipping an actual firearm. It's my understanding that the serial numbered part of the gun is considered the actual firearm, so the frame would still be deemed a firearm and have to ship to an FFL. Am I correct in this?
Yes.

Yes just like the AR Lower. Any other part of the firearm can be shipped directly to you but the frame must be transferred through a FFL.

Even if he hand delivers it, or you go to Missouri, the transfer of the frame has to be handled by a FFL IN GEORGIA.

One additional point, many FFLs will tell you that it has to be shipped FROM an FFL. That is not correct. If is perfectly legal for him to send it directly to a GA. FFL.

ON THE OTHER HAND, many FFLs will not receive a gun from a non-FFL as a BUSINESS practice (not a legal matter), so you need to check with your

Also, a FFL can ship a pistol to another FFL via ordinary UPS. If may be cheaper to pay a fee to the local FFL to ship, than to pay for Overnight Air as an individual.

Also, usually some one chimes in and says "ship it as parts" - that's a good way to pick up a federal felony AND lose any insurance coverage if it's lost or damaged.

Back
Top Bottom