• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping a pistol in-state?

albatros43

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Jackwagon
176   0
Reaction score
I've never done it but am considering it as part of a deal. I've reached out to a couple FFLs I've dealt with in the past, but I haven't heard back from either.

It appears there is nothing illegal about it, it seems to have more to do with USPS. UPS, and FedEx guidelines than anything else. It appears it can be shipped via UPS or FedEx from an individual to a dealer, but not individual to individual. I'm sure taking it to an FFL is the simplest route. I'm sure there are a ton of threads on here, but all of these threads seem to end up with differing opinions.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/shipping-an-ak-pistol.1212740/page-2

This one was pretty recent.

The general consensus was that USPS can ship long guns but not handguns for individuals, but will ship handguns for FFLs.
UPS and FedEX will take handguns or long guns, but you have to comply with their regulations for those types of packages, which tends to be more expensive than just taking the handgun to your local FFL.

Basically, it looks like going to an FFL is the best option for handguns if you can't meet in person.

You have correctly identified that there are two sets of rules/laws and really two issues.

There are the BATF rules on the actual sale, and then there are shipper rules on what and how they will ship.

So the first issue, in a private transaction between two citizens of the same state who are under no legal disabilities from owning a gun, there is no prohibition on shipping the the gun directly to each other (individual to individual). The seller needs to make some determination that the buyer is in fact a resident of the state, and of legal age to purchase the gun (which in Georgia is 18).

The second issue, determined by the carrier, is how can you ship it. USPS is out. Fed Ex and UPS want exorbitant prices. Note that the exorbitant rates are only for non-FFL, so if you are on good terms with an FFL, he can ship the pistol on his UPS/Fed Ex account without registering it on his book --that is, the gun doesn't have to go through an FFL, in this case, it's just a matter of convenience. The FFL does not have to use his account to ship to another FFL.

Then there is the Redneck Delivery service -- Bubba is going to Albany next week, and he will be glad to stop by Tifton and drop off your gun (or he is going to his momma's and has a cousin that lives over that way).

Reactions: JHW
You have correctly identified that there are two sets of rules/laws and really two issues.

There are the BATF rules on the actual sale, and then there are shipper rules on what and how they will ship.

So the first issue, in a private transaction between two citizens of the same state who are under no legal disabilities from owning a gun, there is no prohibition on shipping the the gun directly to each other (individual to individual). The seller needs to make some determination that the buyer is in fact a resident of the state, and of legal age to purchase the gun (which in Georgia is 18).

The second issue, determined by the carrier, is how can you ship it. USPS is out. Fed Ex and UPS want exorbitant prices. Note that the exorbitant rates are only for non-FFL, so if you are on good terms with an FFL, he can ship the pistol on his UPS/Fed Ex account without registering it on his book --that is, the gun doesn't have to go through an FFL, in this case, it's just a matter of convenience. The FFL does not have to use his account to ship to another FFL.

Then there is the Redneck Delivery service -- Bubba is going to Albany next week, and he will be glad to stop by Tifton and drop off your gun (or he is going to his momma's and has a cousin that lives over that way).

This is maddening. I called a local Mail-Boxes etc. type-place and asked them the question. They said they would ship whatever and weren't aware of FedEx and UPS policies...

Back
Top Bottom