• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping dates on Smith & Wesson revolvers.

For anyone intrested : I too have a Standard Catalogue of Smith and Wesson, so if JWC does not have time, or is not available, anyone can PM me and I will try to help.

For anyone intrested : I too have a Standard Catalogue of Smith and Wesson, so if JWC does not have time, or is not available, anyone can PM me and I will try to help.

Right nice of you! There are many on here who can and will help. All anyone has to do is ask.

Right off I need to mention, I nor anyone outside of Roy Jinks, the S&W Historian, cannot give you the date of manufacture for your S&W revolver. The shipping date is what you will receive, which, more than likely, is not the date of manufacture. In many cases, all that is available is a “range” of months, or years, that the gun was shipped. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Edition, by Suprica/Nahas, is what I use to find the shipping dates. I should also mention, there is much more useful information in this book. I highly recommend purchasing this book if you are even remotely interested in Smith & Wesson revolvers.

What you will need to provide is the serial number of the Smith. The serial number is shown on the butt of the frame. You may have to remove the grips in order to see the serial number. (PIC 1) If you are uncomfortable in giving out the complete serial number to someone you do not know, then provide the serial number using “X’s” for the last three numbers. Also, the model number can be very helpful. To find the model number open the cylinder and on the crane or yoke, you will see MOD and the number. (PIC 2) This is on guns that were produced AFTER 1957. Before 1957, no model number was used and there will not be a model number stamped. If your revolver does not have a model number stamped, the serial number is still necessary, but you need to identify your Smith as well. Pictures really help in identifying your Smith.

On some of the newer models from Smith & Wesson, Smith & Wesson will provide the shipping date free of charge if you call them. Also, if you have the original box, the Special Order number can be the Julian date of when the gun shipped. In the pictures below (PIC 3), the first box shows Special Order number 3152, That simply means the gun shipped on the 152nd day of 1993. The other example shows Special Order number 8365, or the 365th day of 1988. These dates correspond closely to what is shown as the shipping date in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. A word of caution, as always when dealing with Smith & Wesson revolvers, nothing happens 100% of the time. I have had boxes that the Special Order number is not the Julian date of shipping, nothing even close. So, make sure you understand and that really the only true way of determining the date of your Smith & Wesson revolver is to request a “letter” from Smith & Wesson. The cost is $50 and the wait time is running 8 to 12 weeks.

There are several members on this site that will help determine the shipping date of your Smith & Wesson revolver. Hope this helps.
PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3
[Broken External Image]:
JWC IT,S NICE OF YOU TO TAKE THE TIME TO ANSWER PEOPLES QUESTION'S ON HERE.

Back
Top Bottom