• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping firearms from individual to individual in Georgia

I asked a gun store owner this morning and he verified that it is completely legal to ship individual to individual. However, he recommended doing FFL to FFL to protect both individuals.

And he is correct, it is perfectly legal to ship person-to-person within a state. The problem is finding a carrier who will do it for you.

Below is a great podcast on the subject by a real firearms atty:

https://firearmsradio.tv/trigger-words/tw-017-shipping-firearms

If I remember correctly it's not hard to ship a long gun person-to-person within your state via USPS, you just have to declare it. Any other carrier requires an FFL on one side or the other by their own policies.

Handguns always require an FFL on one side, even within state, since that's what USPS requires by law, and all the rest of the carriers require by policy. As mentioned above, handguns will always have to ship next-day as well, making that a pricey option.

And he is correct, it is perfectly legal to ship person-to-person within a state. The problem is finding a carrier who will do it for you.

Below is a great podcast on the subject by a real firearms atty:

https://firearmsradio.tv/trigger-words/tw-017-shipping-firearms

If I remember correctly it's not hard to ship a long gun person-to-person within your state via USPS, you just have to declare it. Any other carrier requires an FFL on one side or the other by their own policies.

Handguns always require an FFL on one side, even within state, since that's what USPS requires by law, and all the rest of the carriers require by policy. As mentioned above, handguns will always have to ship next-day as well, making that a pricey option.

Thanks for posting this podcast. It is very informative and makes it very easy to understand.

Yeah, "Trigger Words" is a great podcast. Well worth it for anyone who is interested in firearms laws and how they evolved.

I just verified with the USPS that you can, in fact ship longarms, (handguns not permitted) from individual to individual within the same state. No reference can be made on the carton as to it's contents and it has to be sent US Priority Mail , signature required for delivery, and a return receipt. So it can be done with the USPS without any hicups. Not the same with UPS and FedX as they require one of the individuals to be a FFL. Thanks to all the good info from the gurus on ODT.

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I would assume that you would need to exchange copies of a Georgia Carry Permit to verify that the parties are legal to own a firearm and not a felon.

This is the most prudent thing to do. It does not verify that the parties are legal to own a firearm, but will meet the legal obligations of the seller in a private transaction.

Not sure why you would need to exchange GWL, but no harm in doing so.

The other prudent thing to do is to only mail or ship to the exact address on the GWL.

I just verified with the USPS that you can, in fact ship longarms, (handguns not permitted) from individual to individual within the same state. No reference can be made on the carton as to it's contents and it has to be sent US Priority Mail , signature required for delivery, and a return receipt. So it can be done with the USPS without any hicups. Not the same with UPS and FedX as they require one of the individuals to be a FFL. Thanks to all the good info from the gurus on ODT.

Whoever told you the information I have put in red is full of it. You can mail it ordinary first class mail if you want to.

The requirements for mailing a firearm are clearly set out in the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) which is in every post office in the United States and online.

Also, footnote, federal gov't does not consider BP guns to be "firearms" (go figure) so you can send a BP pistol through the mail.

Back
Top Bottom