Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

Shipping gun parts by UPS

Thread in 'General Discussion' started by Discollector, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Discollector

Discollector Frontiersman

13   0

Rating
    100%
    I rarely use anything to ship by except the post office. In the course of my life, I have gotten a lot of stuff sent to me by UPS, but wasn't ready for what happened yesterday.

I sold a .22 upper for an AR. I went to a UPS store on Grayson Hwy. in Grayson where I attempted to purchase a box to overpack it in and the people there went ballistic. They were accusing me of trying to send a firearm and that I needed special licenses, and they kept wanting to argue that I was doing something illegal. One employee finally opened up the box and confirmed it was not a complete firearm, but they continued to want to scream at me in front of customers and accuse me of trying to commit a crime.

I wasn't going to let them argue me down so I held my ground, finally telling them to go to Hell. I then came home and pulled up the UPS site where it states:

"UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law..."

So, rather than to drive 20 miles to the UPS hub - where one of the employees said I could ship my box from, I went dumpster diving in a nearby store, fabricated my own box, drove to another UPS store and sent the box as machine parts. They actually ask what's in the box. This morning I contacted UPS to complain.

The stores are independently owned (though subsidiaries of UPS) and not governed by the same rules and policies as UPS. So UPS is telling their stores that it is illegal to ship firearm parts and they are not to accept them for shipment. UPS is lying to the owners of independent stores. So, it was a company policy, not a federal law - facts confirmed when a friend called UPS and got to the bottom of my misfortune. But, that scumbag that owned that outlet in Grayson, Mike Sprayer, did not want to acknowledge that he was wrong about the fact that I did NOT try to commit an illegal act and it was company policy not law. He owes me a simple apology at the very least. He won't see my handsome face again in his establishment. From here on out, I think I'll boycott UPS and let their independently stores know that they could increase their business by ignoring that anti-gun policy. Ship parts through their stores as machine parts and ignore their idiotic policy if you insist on keeping an anti-gun outfit in business.

WinstonSmith, Bypass and Sneakypete like this.
  2. palmettomoon

palmettomoon The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

87   0

Rating
    100%
    I don't live too far from the main hub in Macon but I only use them to ship ammunition. I use USPS for damned near everything except handguns.

3. FatAlbert

FatAlbert Hiland Arms. Cerakote applicator PM for quotes Supporter

Supporter

105   0

Rating
    100%
    Best way to ship guns with UPS is just print a label at home box it up and hand it to a driver.

BillsCamino, Necrosis, thorn and 7 others like this.
  4. BIKER13

BIKER13 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

805   0

Rating
    100%
    dont tell em anything

Necrosis, Sneakypete, gh1950 and 5 others like this.
  5. jlangrill454lsx

jlangrill454lsx Frontiersman

3   0

Rating
    100%
    UPS Nazi libtards. USPS for most everything of mine. Sorry to hear about your horrible experience.

Bypass likes this.
  6. GodGunsCountry308

GodGunsCountry308 Hunter

13   0

Rating
    100%
    Well it’s a matter of ignorance and improper training of policy for the associate. I manage a UPS store and make sure my associates are knowledgeable on the topic. All The UPS stores are able ship parts and anything that isn’t required to go through an FFL. I have gun guy regulars that ship equipment through our store because they know we aren’t going to “freak out” when we see a Glock slide being sent off to get ceracoted. It really is unfortunate that stores like that give us a bad name.

thorn, lostchild, Redleg and 2 others like this.
  7. Gunanddoglover

Gunanddoglover Will work for Tacos Supporter

Supporter

159   0

Rating
    100%
    Individual franchise stores can pick and choose which rules they follow. Sucks but, they are allowed to do that.

medium187mph, BIKER13 and spencer60 like this.
  8. rockyfatcat

rockyfatcat ODT Junkie!

16   0

Rating
    100%
    You can avoid all that by prepackaging it before you get there.

9. spencer60

spencer60 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

199   0

GA Carry Contributor NRA Contributor
    Rating
    100%
    Best bet is to always have it boxed up and labeled if you can. Then the drones just take it and do their job.

As mentioned though, UPS policy is really only consistent at the hubs and such. Each store can make up their own rules if they want to.

10. palmettomoon

palmettomoon The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

87   0

Rating
    100%
    I've found that most 'worker' at any UPS Store are the types that lost their jobs when the old vinyl record stores closed up shop.