• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping gun parts by UPS

Quick Question: Did you walk into a UPS store with an AR-15 Upper in your hand and expect not to run into trouble?

I print my labels at work, box them up, and drop them off. When asked I always tell them "car parts." I never get any push back from them.

No. I had the padded box from Palmetto State Armory and IIRC the box said firearms (like maybe Palmetto State Armory Firearms on it. It also says Upper Receiver on the box. I was looking to over-pack it in a bigger box. That is when Holy Hell broke out. I remembered seeing a few threads in the past on this subject, but this area used to be a really pro-gun place to live. See this as an example:

https://patch.com/georgia/loganville/usmc-veteran-jim-hinkle-continues-to-serve

What I was genuinely whizzed off was that the owner shouted he would not allow me to use his store to engage in criminal activities. Now, however, we have it straightened out here. If all the info is correct in this thread, the individual stores can make their own policies, but policies do not equal federal law. If the owner had simply said he had a store policy of not shipping anything gun related, I would have left the store and went to another without worrying about it. The fact that the idiot used it as an opportunity to shout at me and make false accusations toward what I was doing incentivizes me to spit in his face if I ever see him outside his store.

Thanks for all the posts. Now all of us know the facts about shipping via UPS stores versus UPS.

No. I had the padded box from Palmetto State Armory and IIRC the box said firearms (like maybe Palmetto State Armory Firearms on it. It also says Upper Receiver on the box. I was looking to over-pack it in a bigger box. That is when Holy Hell broke out. I remembered seeing a few threads in the past on this subject, but this area used to be a really pro-gun place to live. See this as an example:

https://patch.com/georgia/loganville/usmc-veteran-jim-hinkle-continues-to-serve

What I was genuinely whizzed off was that the owner shouted he would not allow me to use his store to engage in criminal activities. Now, however, we have it straightened out here. If all the info is correct in this thread, the individual stores can make their own policies, but policies do not equal federal law. If the owner had simply said he had a store policy of not shipping anything gun related, I would have left the store and went to another without worrying about it. The fact that the idiot used it as an opportunity to shout at me and make false accusations toward what I was doing incentivizes me to spit in his face if I ever see him outside his store.

Thanks for all the posts. Now all of us know the facts about shipping via UPS stores versus UPS.

Yeah, that is ridiculous ,but glad you kept a cool head.

No. I had the padded box from Palmetto State Armory and IIRC the box said firearms (like maybe Palmetto State Armory Firearms on it. It also says Upper Receiver on the box.

Using boxes that say firearms or firearms parts, smart....NOT. I ship all my firearms via UPS as the post office insurance is somewhat worthless (according to my local postmaster here in Jasper). I ship from the hub in Acworth, I label all boxes "Please handle with care, aluminum poles" just to throw off any warehouse workers. Yes, I declare firearm, include copy off receivers FFL as well and insure accordingly. Also since I ship mainly M1 carbines I take the action out of the stock to make the box smaller. One has to wonder when you say they lost "machine parts', then you file an insurance claim, how do you back up what you lost assuming you took out insurance? If not those "machine parts / car parts" are going to net you $100 on a claim.

Just use USPS for shipping parts and prepackage. I send scopes, parts, etc without any issues at all and with plenty of insurance. The only time I see the inside of a UPS store is dropping off Amazon returns lol.

Me: I'd like to ship this box, please.
UPS: Does it have a label on it?
Me: Yes, I paid online and stuck the label on the box
UPS: What's in the box
Me: Stuff I'm shipping
UPS: Ok, (beep, goes the scanner), you're all set.
Me: Thanks a bunch... see you next time.
UPS: Have a nice day.
Me: You too!

Using boxes that say firearms or firearms parts, smart....NOT. I ship all my firearms via UPS as the post office insurance is somewhat worthless (according to my local postmaster here in Jasper). I ship from the hub in Acworth, I label all boxes "Please handle with care, aluminum poles" just to throw off any warehouse workers. Yes, I declare firearm, include copy off receivers FFL as well and insure accordingly. Also since I ship mainly M1 carbines I take the action out of the stock to make the box smaller. One has to wonder when you say they lost "machine parts', then you file an insurance claim, how do you back up what you lost assuming you took out insurance? If not those "machine parts / car parts" are going to net you $100 on a claim.
The OP is shipping non NFA items.
An upper can be technically and accurately described as machine parts.
Any machined part that isn’t otherwise restricted can be shipped under that description.
Anything that workes together to make a machine can be shipped under that description.
An upper is a simple machine.

I deliver about. $259,000 of aluminum a day, yup you guessed it.

I have shipped muzzle brakes, barrels, Handguards, race heads, carbs, and a plethora of other items
all over the world under that description. (Not restricted overseas items) much of which would insure for more than most collectible NFA items.

For the purpose of the OP I would suggest a plain package and list it as machine parts.

Back
Top Bottom