• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping gun parts by UPS

In the course of running my business I've shipped tens of thousands of packages via UPS. Descriptions should be "misc. hardware" or "machine tool parts." Pack everything yourself, print the label at home, drop it off. Contrary to what you might have heard, they don't scan or x-ray packages to find guns or gun-shaped objects. Obey state and federal laws and don't be loud and proud about shipping gun parts, and there is literally jack schitt they can do (or will do). You wouldn't tell a stranger that you have expensive gun parts in your glovebox--why would you tell them when you have them in a shipping box?

GRAYSON UPS, are BIGGEST south bound side of a NORTH BOUND MULES...

They always want to sell the "IF WE DON'T PACKAGE IT IN OUR UPS PACKAGING WE CAN'T INSURE IT"
they opened the box and it was electronic parts and after all that, we let them package it, and then changed my mind and cut their box open and took my box out and told them them never mind I'll just take it to the POST OFFICE, and walked out...

WHEN Shipping guns and other items we just go to the UPS HUB IN BOGART, they are always very considerate, and get the job done...

GRAYSON UPS, avoid them them like the plague... The owners are very non professional...

The only issue with not declaring firearm parts accurately is if they are lost and UPS contests teh claim.

I haven;t had to ship a lot of things UPS, since if it's part I usually use USPS (cheaper). The few time I have, I used 'code' that was accurate, but didn't make sense to anyone at the counter.

If I remember right it was a threaded barrel for a Beretta, and I had it down as "part - thd bbl 5" M92". No one even blinked at that description but it was 100% accurate.

The only issue with not declaring firearm parts accurately is if they are lost and UPS contests teh claim.

Have any of you making this statement above ever had a claim with UPS or USPS? I have and have never had an issue with neither disputing anything. I always insure the package for the value and give them a description. An upper can be described as machined parts and be 100% accurate. They can't dispute anything if it's LOST, because they have nothing to refute the claim.

I've had USPS lose shipments and pay the insurance. Never had an issue with UPS because I don;t use them that much.

It could be they wouldn't care... But if they asked for a receipt as verification I could see a problem with it being for an AR-15 upper instead of some generic 'machine parts' that you listed. It's a roll of the dice at that point.

I figured it was better to be safe than sorry, and use a description that would still represent the shipment accurately, but in a way that didn;t jump out at them as firearm-related. To each their own though.

If they flat out lose it you can collect on whatever you insured it for no questions asked.

Where you run a risk is if it gets damaged and you try to make a claim. If it's listed as machine parts they're probably gonna deny your claim to a damaged 1911.

That's why you pack it like you already now it's gonna be slammed against a brick wall. Then you're just insuring against them losing it.

I went to an Acworth UPS to ship 2 complete firearms insured. They offered to box them for me but told me I had to ship them from a hub that didnt open till the next day. They wanted $35 for the box and packing. Told them I would look at options and be back if I needed to. Went to USPS. Told lady what they were. Got side ways look. Said they were inoperable which is why they were being shipped to a gunsmith in the first place. She gave me post office tape. Taped up the large gun case both guns were in real well. Shipped them just like that no issues. They say no firearms in post office so I was wondering if I was breaking law but website said they shipped firearms so.....it all worked out anyway. I was nervous about not disguising gun case with a box but it wasnt an obvious gun case to most and suppose it could have been anything until you looked at the label and saw where the case was going. That would have been true of a box too though. Never have shipped firearms before. I'll probably do a box and take to a USPS next time. $1500 insurance was only $20.

I know you can ship long guns through USPS without an FFL, but I thought they had to be staying in the same state. Handguns are a definite no-go for USPS unless you have that magic paper.

It would definitely be better to have them already packed in a plain box, but given some of the prosecutions they have had lately where they traced mail back to the actual sender, I'm guessing they have pretty decent security these days.

A plain box would also minimize any potential issues with the 'no guns' laws at the facility, although I think there's a specific exemption to that for guns legally being shipped.

I know you can ship long guns through USPS without an FFL, but I thought they had to be staying in the same state. Handguns are a definite no-go for USPS unless you have that magic paper.

It would definitely be better to have them already packed in a plain box, but given some of the prosecutions they have had lately where they traced mail back to the actual sender, I'm guessing they have pretty decent security these days.

A plain box would also minimize any potential issues with the 'no guns' laws at the facility, although I think there's a specific exemption to that for guns legally being shipped.

I shipped to Montana. They were both long guns.

Long guns can be shipped by anyone via USPS. If it's staying in state it can go to any address, if it's going out of state it has to go to an FFL.

Back
Top Bottom