• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shoot coyote in Gwinnett county?

It is illegal to discharge a firearm inside Gwinnett, Fulton, and Cobb County. Many others too, but I know those for a fact

I don't think this is a fact. If it were, I would have already been arrested. We used to shoot on the property that's across the street from the QT located at I-85 and GA HWY-20. We had the police called out several times and we never had a problem.

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/archives/9154/

There used to be a Gwinnett County ordinance that was enacted in the 1990s that prohibited firearms discharge within 500 ft of a road or nearest dwelling, but I couldn't find it in Municode. In fact, there is a reference at §74-6 that a prior ordinance was repealed in 2001 (I assume it is the same ordinance). An editor's note under §74-6 reads, "An ordinance adopted Aug. 21, 2001, repealed § 74-6 which pertained to discharge of weapons and derived from Code 1978, § 9-1008".

This is more like it. I remember the officer referencing something about a 500ft distance from a road/house.

Don't hesitate to shoot one. Gwinnett county animal control isn't gonna do **** about coyotes - it's too much for them to handle.

My neighbors and I have had issues with coyotes lately. If one comes within range, it's dead. And if I miss, I'm just gonna pick up my shell casing and tell the police (assuming they show up) it wasn't me and to go find the slug and match it to my gun.

There isn't a jury in the county that would convict you for shooting a coyote in self defense.

dekalb you can discharge a firearm if there is NOTHING 1500 feet in any direction. Don't know of anyplace like this.

Here's the municode link:Sec. 16-72. - Discharge of weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person to fire a gun, rifle, pistol, revolver, cannon, air rifle, firearm of any type or shoot a slingshot or bow and arrow within the unincorporated area of the county, within fifteen hundred (1500) feet of any residence, place of worship, business or public meeting place. This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer while in the discharge of official duties, nor to any person hunting upon such person's premises or the premises of another with the owner's consent in that area of the county zoned for agriculture by a zoning ordinance, order or resolution of the board of commissioners, nor to any person, or group of persons, who has first obtained the written permission for this from the chief executive. Permission will be granted upon a showing that the public safety will not be endangered.

Here's the kicker: There is no longer any land zoned as agricultural in Dekalb county. There is NWIH the Liberal Commissioners or CEO of Dekalb county is giving anyone permission or a resolution to discharge a firearm within it's boundarys.

Here's a pretty funny story about some antis calling the cops on some Gwinnett duck hunters.
http://www.gwinnettcitizen.com/0609/suburban_sportsman0609.html

Last edited:
I spoke with a police officer of gwinnett county not long ago. He thanked me for reading the laws (500 ft from rd, 50 yrds from home etc) and said " If they are causing problems, shoot them."

So I went all BRB WEAPONS HOT tonight around 8 :30, I had my 4 bags of bait sitting out for hours to get the smell out. Sat in the woods for 45 minutes squeaking my dogs toy, and nothing. We'll see if the bait is taken in the morning. I plan to get up early before the sun rises and return to the spot. We shall see who prevails.

I spoke with a police officer of gwinnett county not long ago. He thanked me for reading the laws (500 ft from rd, 50 yrds from home etc) and said " If they are causing problems, shoot them."

So I went all BRB WEAPONS HOT tonight around 8 :30, I had my 4 bags of bait sitting out for hours to get the smell out. Sat in the woods for 45 minutes squeaking my dogs toy, and nothing. We'll see if the bait is taken in the morning. I plan to get up early before the sun rises and return to the spot. We shall see who prevails.

Want a backup?

AHH YES hunting critters with no pants on .One of my most enjoyable things to do .Just watch out for sunburn some parts are not welcoming to alot of light .Really the last thing is a serious.

Back
Top Bottom