• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shoot House Courses: Why Take Them?

Ain’t nearly as easy as folks that refuse to get trained think it is!

You aren't kidding. Owning a firearm does not equal the ability to use them well. I always assumed because I was in the military, I've been shooting since I was a kid, and I had the firearms I liked that I was ahead in the game. Not so.

The past couple years I have done what I can to get more training just because I thought it would be fun and a good "refresher". Boy was I wrong. My estimation of my capabilities was way off. Discovered I could not shoot nearly as well as I believed. Also have gone through, and still go through, a litany of gear issues which shocked me as I thought I was squared away.

I went back to learning fundamentals. Learned them well enough to become an Appleseed instructor. Then I started shooting idpa. I suck but I'm getting better. Next I'm gonna try my hand at US Arms. I expect to suck at that for a while too. I know that's not actual training but it's at least practice that will help me work out issues and it's something I have the ability to commit to.

I practice at home as much as I can. I shoot here but only 22's to keep up with my fundamentals. I also dry fire my other firearms a whole lot. A friend rigged a pmag for me so that I can reset my ar without having to rack the slide so that's helpful.

Right now all that's the cheapest most time effective way I've found to get my training feet wet. If I had the disposable income and time (even though I do my best to make training the priority it needs to be) I would take every available training class and shoot several hundred rounds a day. Life keeps getting in the darn way.

I keep kicking myself for not starting this process years ago. The financial/time commitment that is required for me to get where I need to be is daunting.

Back
Top Bottom