• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting Dogs.....

This same story is the reason ill never clear a neighbors house no matter how friendly we are. I can make an understanding ob the officers mistake... Possible home invasion, charging dog, unknown situation, I can imagine your adrenaline may be pumping... But that's not where they went wrong... instead of apologizing to the homeowner, offering sympathy and being honest in the report, it wouldn't have been as bad.. instead, he heartlessly degraded the homeowner after screwing up, lied on the report and Cobb county is trying to cover it up... My best advice, find the shiftiest, heartless, most ruthless bull**** Attourney you can find. Sue the officer for pain and suffering. There's enough crackball attorneys in Atlanta that would be all over this...find one and make him pay.

Why didn't the home owner secure the dog when he KNEW there would be a LE response to the alarm? This is especially true since he had already heard the dog start barking once before and thought it may have been the police.

As for the breed being a lab, you can find any personality in any breed. I've met labs that would do there best to kill you if they had the chance. They are rare, but they do exist.

The LEO had permission to enter the home unannounced. That is PART OF THEIR JOB when responding to an alarm and the owner has agreed to it when they had the alarm installed.

If there is more to this story, I want to hear it and will reserve final judgment until I do. However, what I get from this story so far is that the LEO entered the home the way he should have, was looking for a potentially armed intruder and a full grown, 70 pound plus aggressive dog came at him.

BTW, an aggressive dog does not know or care if you're a good guy or bad guy and identifying yourself to it and telling it to drop the weapon does not work, so trying to replace the word dog with "Homeowner" in this story does not work.

When I'm evaluating a dog that has aggressive tendencies for a family I warn them that, though I love dogs, the safety of a human trumps the life of a dog every time and my evaluation is going to take that into account. If the wrong situation occurs almost any dog can become dangerously aggressive. Unless someone is a real expert with lots of experience it can be VERY difficult to determine in a split second whether the dog that is confronting you is serious or just bluffing. It's not the responsibility of LE to find out the hard way, especially when they are already in a potentially dangerous situation.

I wonder how many of you being charged by a strange aggressive dog when you had a gun in your hand REALLY would not pull that trigger. For those of you that will say, "It's not my job to make that call, but it is a cop's", no hell it's not. Not when it's concerning a dog's life rather than a human's life and they are already in a situation where they could be fighting for their own life against an armed human in the next split second.

Do you guys really think this LEO shot the dog just for the hell of it?

yes

I guess what I'm thinking or my problem is, what does one think when showing up at a residents home? They are ready to shoot the family dog to guarantee there is no trouble clearing the home?? I guess I'm ignorant as well to the operating procedure of the Leo but maybe we have too much time to judge as others have stated. I think others as well as the dog owner would like to have heard all options were used to ensure survival of all home dwellers. Maybe we just can't have it all. And we only hear about incidents where mistakes were made and things went wrong. Lot of good cops out there. Got a friend with ClayCo PD. Love dogs too. Maybe we can see the positive and it wasn't a human family member. I know it's not much comfort for the op. condolences to Robby.

This same story is the reason ill never clear a neighbors house no matter how friendly we are. I can make an understanding ob the officers mistake... Possible home invasion, charging dog, unknown situation, I can imagine your adrenaline may be pumping... But that's not where they went wrong... instead of apologizing to the homeowner, offering sympathy and being honest in the report, it wouldn't have been as bad.. instead, he heartlessly degraded the homeowner after screwing up, lied on the report and Cobb county is trying to cover it up... My best advice, find the shiftiest, heartless, most ruthless bull**** Attourney you can find. Sue the officer for pain and suffering. There's enough crackball attorneys in Atlanta that would be all over this...find one and make him pay.

You are right. Any problem is compounded ten fold by the cover up. See Atlanta Red Dog.

Back
Top Bottom