• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting Dove, Not as Easy as it Looks

Buttplate…..switch to skeet loads, instead of an ounce of 7.5 shot, you get 1.125 oz of #9s. Practice, I used to shoot a lot of skeet, and doves during the same time frame. Doves were easier to hit for me than my shooting buddies because of the skeet practice.
Keep your head down and the gun moving.

Update...1 ounce of 7.5 shot is about 350 pellets.
1.125 ounce of 9 shot is about 650 pellets.
Almost double the number of shot in the air working for you.
You could tighten your choke too if possible, mod or imp mod better than IC.

In no way laying it on gun and ammo, know that. I was using my 11-87 with IC choke, 12 Ga, 2 3/4" ,1350 velocity, 1 oz., 7 1/2 shot Remington shells.

Anyone see anything that I need to change or just more practice?

Only one box and half of shells?

First, take a flat of shells. You got to throw some lead up if you want to bring down doves.

After much experimenting, I have settled ON 1 1/8 OZ OF #8 FOR A 12 GAUGE and shooting a semi-auto.

For 20 ga #8 7/8 oz load. All loads 1200 to 1250 fps.

26 to 28 inch barrel with mod choke.

This is a proven combination for me. And I found some high dollar premium target loads in the above loadings one year on clearance for 5 bucks a box and shot them. Increased hits by 20% for me. Better components is all I can figure. But I shot the cheap stuff this year.

Sorry for your bad first experience. Try again! It is worth the effort.

I never use anything more open that a modified choke (M), even on opening day.

Only one box and half of shells? At what time did you leave the field?
Saturday I was at Redlands with my kids, less than one hour North from you, and the birds did not show up in decent numbers until 4pm.
I need all the help I can get, thanks.

I think we left around 6.

Only one box and half of shells?

First, take a flat of shells. You got to throw some lead up if you want to bring down doves.

After much experimenting, I have settled ON 1 1/8 OZ OF #8 FOR A 12 GAUGE and shooting a semi-auto.

For 20 ga #8 7/8 oz load. All loads 1200 to 1250 fps.

26 to 28 inch barrel with mod choke.

This is a proven combination for me. And I found some high dollar premium target loads in the above loadings one year on clearance for 5 bucks a box and shot them. Increased hits by 20% for me. Better components is all I can figure. But I shot the cheap stuff this year.
Great info, thanks. Several have mentioned shooting a modified choke. It is sure worth trying. I think I have one in the drawer at the house.

Well you will improve your shooting unless you never got a feather, by buying decent ammo like 3 1/4 x 1 1/8 no eight shot. By the way I use 1 1/4 ounce of shot

Winchester has sales on their AA target ammo with a mail-in rebate. This is good ammo, all I shot when competing. I had a rat problem in the backyard and picked up some AA in .410, shot much better, better patterns, than standard Wal-mart ammo.

Well you will improve your shooting unless you never got a feather, by buying decent ammo like 3 1/4 x 1 1/8 no eight shot. By the way I use 1 1/4 ounce of shot

I like the 1 1/4 loads, but I tend to fatigue more quickly with them than the 1 1/8 loads.

I have a friend that shoots high brass #9 out of a 21 inch barrel with an improved modified choke. He is cold death with it, but I can't hit with a short barrel.

Lots of fun.
1. Position bag chair and cooler in a shaded area with your back toward sun.
2. Shoot doves as the fly or land in your eye sight.
3. Collect birds for someone else to clean.
Yep, lots of fun.

In no way laying it on gun and ammo, know that. I was using my 11-87 with IC choke, 12 Ga, 2 3/4" ,1350 velocity, 1 oz., 7 1/2 shot Remington shells.

Anyone see anything that I need to change or just more practice?
I would guess you shooting in front of them at that speed,put it on his beak and keep the gun swinging,and don’t pick up your head.

Reactions: MRH
I got selected in the quota dove drawing for Oconee WMA and shot yesterday, my first dove shoot. I shoot sporting clays several times a year and shoot in the 50's and 60's so you can imagine my disappointment when I left the field after shooting a box and a half of shells with no birds. There were young folks who tore them up. I need to practice and shoot a bunch before next year.

IT IS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS!!!!
are you shooting the same gun for doves that you shoot clays with?

Back
Top Bottom