• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting FMJ after Lead Round Nose

At least run a brass brush through it a good amount of times after each range visit ( replace the brush often and run it from the breach to the bore so the fragments don't end up in the breach ). That will help cut down on a lot of that build up that will occur if you are shooting all lead rounds on a regular basis. Lead is so soft it can't help but leave some behind with each round. Also inspect the bore frequently as well. It's pains me to here what some of you guys subject your guns to on a regular basis and do it without frequent and proper cleaning.

If your cast/swaged lead bullet is the proper fit for the gun you shouldn't have leading. If there is leading a jacketed bullet can do one of 2 things if not both.....One - it can "iron" the lead into the lands/grooves of the rifling or it could scrape the lead out. I've seen both happen.

I have shot hundreds of cast bullets in one shooting session to come away with a mirror bore. No leading. I do fit my bullets to my gun however. My .380s get .356 dia. bullets, 9MM gets. .358, .45 gets .452 etc etc.

I have a Glock G36 that I shoot lead out of exclusively. It stays super clean. The dirtiest it has ever been is when a buddy shot factory jacketed through it and left crud and copper in the bore. No more jacketed for my Glock - Lead only.

Proper hardness and fitment of projectile and you're good. There are a ton of rumors and hyperbole on the net. Experiment for yourself and get the straight dope.

If your cast/swaged lead bullet is the proper fit for the gun you shouldn't have leading. If there is leading a jacketed bullet can do one of 2 things if not both.....One - it can "iron" the lead into the lands/grooves of the rifling or it could scrape the lead out. I've seen both happen.

I have shot hundreds of cast bullets in one shooting session to come away with a mirror bore. No leading. I do fit my bullets to my gun however. My .380s get .356 dia. bullets, 9MM gets. .358, .45 gets .452 etc etc.

I have a Glock G36 that I shoot lead out of exclusively. It stays super clean. The dirtiest it has ever been is when a buddy shot factory jacketed through it and left crud and copper in the bore. No more jacketed for my Glock - Lead only.

Proper hardness and fitment of projectile and you're good. There are a ton of rumors and hyperbole on the net. Experiment for yourself and get the straight dope.
Not everybody is a reloading wizard. This we have to remember.

Sweet! Wizard level!
If you are smelting and casting your own projectiles and sizing them that's pretty crafty. I mean not your average reloading methods going on there. A little extra skills involved. Where do you get your lead? I use to know guys that had 5 gallon buckets of tire balancing weights. I don't think they resized the projectile. Just knocked off the slag and ran with it.

I just acquired a 327 SP101, some lead 32 long ammo and some factory 327 fed. This is a good reminder to clean after I burn through the Factory cast loads. Also remember that 327 operates at absurd pressures, higher than 44 magnum!

If you are smelting and casting your own projectiles and sizing them that's pretty crafty. I mean not your average reloading methods going on there. A little extra skills involved. Where do you get your lead? I use to know guys that had 5 gallon buckets of tire balancing weights. I don't think they resized the projectile. Just knocked off the slag and ran with it.

I do smelt, cast and size all my bullets. I too have buckets of wheel weights. Shooting reloaded ammo is the only way. For me casting and reloading my hand crafted bullets is the only way.

I do smelt, cast and size all my bullets. I too have buckets of wheel weights. Shooting reloaded ammo is the only way. For me casting and reloading my hand crafted bullets is the only way.
You got that right. I reload all my 6.8 and .223 ammo. However, I am not casting my own. I usually shooting the good projectiles for accuracy. I don't a lot, a lot, a lot of shooting. It's a 50 minute ride to River Bend Gun Club so that keeps me from spending a heap of money. I just make my time there count. I have so much brass to reload right now it isn't even funny.

Back
Top Bottom