• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting FMJ after Lead Round Nose

I've avoided shooting any type of jacketed rounds in my target .45s. Until recently. I was at the range shooting lead with a pistol that I'd had significant leading in previously. It took an hour to remove the lead from the barrel with a stainless brush. A friend had some loads that were copper plated lead and he couldn't get them to load in his pistol so I tried them out. I noticed that when I removed the barrel for cleaning, there was no lead build up present even though I'd fired about 200 rounds in that session. Now I pop a round or two of copper plated lead before I leave the range and I've noticed that clean up takes minutes and I'v noticed no depreciation in accuracy.

I've avoided shooting any type of jacketed rounds in my target .45s. Until recently. I was at the range shooting lead with a pistol that I'd had significant leading in previously. It took an hour to remove the lead from the barrel with a stainless brush. A friend had some loads that were copper plated lead and he couldn't get them to load in his pistol so I tried them out. I noticed that when I removed the barrel for cleaning, there was no lead build up present even though I'd fired about 200 rounds in that session. Now I pop a round or two of copper plated lead before I leave the range and I've noticed that clean up takes minutes and I'v noticed no depreciation in accuracy.

Have you tried coated lead? Works great, and very inexpensive.

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=209&category=20&secondary=13&keywords=

I recently have had great luck with Bayou bullets being clean. The coating is easier to get out than any copper fouling, just a nylon brush. I run a lot of them thru a Glock. HS-6 and a taper crimp works wonderfully. I still check the cases with a Lee fcd, but don't crimp with it.

I noticed the same thing with my KelTec P2000. I have to shoot .40 cal unsized cast Lee 175gr. TC in it to avoid keyholing and poor accuracy. It will leave very minimal lead streaks in the bore, but a jacketed round at the end of shooting and good. Get home and a lightly oiled patch down the pipe and it is clean as a whistle.

Back
Top Bottom