• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting on my Property in Powder Springs

Definitely make sure you meet all the legal requirements. I assume you are in Pailding County. I have a buddy that got arrested with two others last year. They had plenty of land and a back stop and still got arrested! It cost him attorney fees and it did finally get dropped but a huge amount of aggrevation.

state law says no shooting 50 yards from any public road.

I assume that means your firing line --not the path of your bullet or the backstop . However it is also illegal to fire at, or across, the road, I believe.

There is a new exception to the 50 yard rule for approved shooting ranges that your city or county government knows about and has allowed to operate under existing laws, ordinances, zoning regulations, etc.

State law does NOT preempt any local laws on this topic,
so local governments are allowed to ban or "reasonably restrict" the discharge of firearms.

Many cities and county governments have their published ordinances listed on a free service online called municode.

If you go searching for applicable local laws on this topic, don't just look for ordinances about shooting ranges or the discharge of firearms;
also look for noise ordinances and "land use" or "permitted use" restrictions.
Finally, see if there are any ordinances generally on the topic of
safety,
nuisance,
disorderly conduct,
or anything else that the local authorities might say could be triggered by the shooting range that bothers your neighbors or makes them feel unsafe.

Just looked up the municodes and i'm not even ''Allowed" to shoot a bb gun or a Sling Shot, I wish i could say i was surprised but considering the individuals That are trying to take rights away to gain control little by little im not

that doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're looking at the county ordinances?
Not some rule that only applies to a city
or maybe even more specifically city parks and recreation areas?

PS-- If you are in a City's jurisdiction, then you may be out of luck.
Many cities completely ban anything the throws a projectile!

I'm Not in a Subdivision Im on 2 acres's With 100 backed uo to my land

Who owns the 100? You don't have permission to shoot on his land either. You have to retain the bullets on your property. This includes ricochets and shotgun pellets. You could do what a friend did and build a chicken house with a backstop at one end and then you are technically indoors.

Check your county ordinances.
No matter how much land you are on, they state how many feet/yards you can be from another house.
Henry County is about to change the laws here and will screw up my backyard range.
There is 50 acres of land behind mine, but will not be able to get far enough away from other house in another direction.

Henry wants to totally ban outdoor shooting due to the elected anti gun county commissioners. The 50 acres behind you is not relative.

Who owns the 100? You don't have permission to shoot on his land either. You have to retain the bullets on your property. This includes ricochets and shotgun pellets. You could do what a friend did and build a chicken house with a backstop at one end and then you are technically indoors.

Hmm... I'm in a 'no projectile' area, so does that mean if I put up a structure in my yard I can shoot inside it ?

Hmm... I'm in a 'no projectile' area, so does that mean if I put up a structure in my yard I can shoot inside it ?

Maybe. It is a gray area. That is what a friend did . He built a chicken coop and poured in a large backstop. All projectiles stayed in the building. You have to control ricochets.

Maybe. It is a gray area. That is what a friend did . He built a chicken coop and poured in a large backstop. All projectiles stayed in the building. You have to control ricochets.

I was just thinking of a 3' x 4' x 40 I could plink in with an airgun.

Definitely make sure you meet all the legal requirements. I assume you are in Pailding County. I have a buddy that got arrested with two others last year. They had plenty of land and a back stop and still got arrested! It cost him attorney fees and it did finally get dropped but a huge amount of aggrevation.
WOW....................!

Back
Top Bottom