• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shooting on my property.

The size of your berm should not just be sufficient to catch the bullets that go right through your target in the scoring rings,

but the berm / backstop should be wide and tall enough to catch the bullets that are fired when you, or your trainee, or your guest, puts their finger on the trigger the moment they put the gun to the shoulder and fire before they even acquire a sight picture.

You could fill a cardboard box the size of a microwave oven with dirt or even cat litter and use that for a backstop --if (if) you knew that you wouldn't miss. But you should take into consideration the possibility of the gun firing without having a proper sight picture, or you do carefully aim the rifle and take the shot, but you miss by a foot because you didn't realize that your sights or your scope had been bumped recently.

Cobb county is turning liberal and anti-gun more and more every year.

Cobb county elected anti-gun crusader Lucy McBath to Congress.

Cobb county voted for Hillary Clinton rather than Donald Trump in 2016.

I would be careful not to piss off your neighbors by shooting too much or shooting guns that are too loud. Consider getting a silencer. (I have one.)
Consider using subsonic ammo if it's available for the caliber of ammunition for the guns you want to shoot in your backyard.

Keep in mind that if you exercise your right to shoot on your property in an unreasonable manner not only could your neighbors take you to court to get an injunction to stop you from shooting but the County might simply pass an ordinance banning you (all of us) from shooting on your property (our property) entirely.

Keep in mind that if you exercise your right to shoot on your property in an unreasonable manner not only could your neighbors take you to court to get an injunction to stop you from shooting but the County might simply pass an ordinance banning you (all of us) from shooting on your property (our property) entirely.

Pretty much what happened in Clarke County 25 years ago.

One person decided he just had to shoot a stray dog going down the road (somebody's pet) and all of a sudden nearly all shooting in the county is banned.

Cobb county is turning liberal and anti-gun more and more every year.

Cobb county elected anti-gun crusader Lucy McBath to Congress.

Cobb county voted for Hillary Clinton rather than Donald Trump in 2016.

I would be careful not to piss off your neighbors by shooting too much or shooting guns that are too loud. Consider getting a silencer. (I have one.)
Consider using subsonic ammo if it's available for the caliber of ammunition for the guns you want to shoot in your backyard.

All those ordinances and laws would be illegal, in Georgia State firearm laws are preemptive.the state has the sole right to regulate firearms and there use and restrictions. Some City and Counties have already had to change ordinances because of suits filed against them for this very thing.

Got any Tannerite? That's always a good ice breaker with the neighbors.

Anything after that will seem tame by comparison.
Yup, I save it for "Holidays" the mansions all be touting catered fireworks shows trying to outdo and outsound their ritzy neighbors then when they all done with their several thousand dollar displays and are all layed back having their Champaign, I lights up the berm with several 1 Lb. cans of tannerite, all in sequence as if dentated by det cord, and its as if a A10 just brrrrt'd their lawn gnome gardens into a wasteland. I am "that" neighbor they all hate. One had the audacity to pull in one year in his new Caddy and when I went out to the car, he was afraid t get out of, he asked what it'd take to buy my "little hovel" so he could bulldoze the lot clean, I told him I'd take exactly whet he paid for his 3 story, 8,000 sq ft house, and if he didn't have the cash on him, to get off my property before I had to defend it, he backed out in front of an Amazon delivery and he almost got send to that Starbucks in the sky, he loved more than life itself.
Brrrrrttt.gif

All those ordinances and laws would be illegal, in Georgia State firearm laws are preemptive.the state has the sole right to regulate firearms and there use and restrictions.

No, the preemption law, OCGA 16-11-173, allows counties to restrict or even entirely ban shooting in their jurisdiction.

I'd LIKE to see a uniform and reasonable standard (or cap-- an upper limit on such restrictions ) for any county or city laws against the discharge of firearms.

(or other potential weapons like air guns or archery gear)

But that's not the state of the law today.

No, the preemption law, OCGA 16-11-173, allows counties to restrict or even entirely ban shooting in their jurisdiction.

I'd LIKE to see a uniform and reasonable standard (or cap-- an upper limit on such restrictions ) for any county or city laws against the discharge of firearms.

(or other potential weapons like air guns or archery gear)

But that's not the state of the law today.

Here is the section of the code you referenced. I guess it depends on what you define as reasonable.

e) Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance or resolution, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the municipal corporation or county.

If local jurisdictions can PROHIBIT shooting, entirely, I'm pretty confident anything less than that would be considered a "reasonable" restriction.

But, I agree that because the legislature did use the word reasonable, and courts are not supposed to interpret laws in a way that renders any of their words totally meaningless and without effect...

... maybe there is the basis to challenge some county's anti-shooting ordinance.

--------

I hear some counties in Georgia say you can only shoot if you own at least 25 acres,
and you are more than 1000 feet away from any road or any building -

even an unoccupied barn or chicken coop.

And a long way from any neighboring property border too. Even if the neighboring property is unoccupied, unused, vacant woodland.

But, in the big picture, it's obvious the state legislature is passing the buck to city and county governments.

This particular exemption to the preemption doctrine is huge-- a huge loophole you could drive a semi truck through!

-

I hear some counties in Georgia say you can only shoot if you own at least 25 acres,
and you are more than 1000 feet away from any road or any building -

even an unoccupied barn or chicken coop.

And a long way from any neighboring property border too. Even if the neighboring property is unoccupied, unused, vacant woodland.

That's pretty much how the Clarke County ordinance is written. You have to be so many yards from an occupied building and the way the ordinance is written that includes your occupied building. I don't know that anyone has ever been charged with shooting too close to their own building, but it's possible.

The property line setback means you have to have 300 acres (I think) to discharge a centerfire rifle or pistol. It's less for a shotgun.

I participate in a neighborhood bulletin board, and every time some kid quite legally shoots off some fireworks, it lights up with reports of "shots fired."

Back
Top Bottom