• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting on National Forrest Land

hewrue

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
52   0
Reaction score
Has anyone done any shooting on National Forrest Land up in North Georgia. I know there’s a few ranges listed on this page and if you’ve been to any of them, what are your thoughts? Secondly, I’m wondering about shooting outside of ranges but still on national land, which seems to be completely legal according to this link. Does anyone have an recommended areas? Do you just pull off the road and walk in and start blasting? I’m trying to do some unknown distance wilderness shooting and to be honest, I just prefer shooting out in the woods as opposed to at a range with an RSO breathing down my neck and getting flagged every five minutes and my land down south is a two and a half hour drive.

Thanks in advance!

Much of, if not the majority of land in the Chattahoochee National Forest is private property, mine included, so I would highly advise against pulling off the road and start shooting or walking around. That will not end well. There are WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas), Recreation Areas and WAs (Wilderness Areas) that each have their own firearms regulations and there are a lot of hiking trails within their boundaries so going in and randomly shooting is a bad idea. Either use one of the public ranges or get permission from the land owner and that ain’t gonna happen.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/conf/maps-pubs

I appreciate the reply. That was exactly what I was looking for. I’m unfamiliar with National Forest land here in the Southeast and the website made it seem like it’s all free game. I lived out west for a while and very much enjoyed this aspect of having so much BLM land around me; thousands of square miles of range was real nice.

and that ain’t gonna happen.

So optimistic.

I appreciate the reply. That was exactly what I was looking for. I’m unfamiliar with National Forest land here in the Southeast and the website made it seem like it’s all free game. I lived out west for a while and very much enjoyed this aspect of having so much BLM land around me; thousands of square miles of range was real nice.

So optimistic.
Most of us live in the mountains because we like the peace, quiet and don’t care to be around outsiders.

Up here in Virginia these rear ends are so anal about state and national forest. Thousands of acres and on Fed land youn can't even posses a firearm on it. The worst part is all this land you have to spend a fortune in gas to get to a good range and then pay out the ass to shoot. I have land I can go shoot on but it's 40 minutes away. Makes me so mad I could bite railroad Spikes in half.

Back
Top Bottom