• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting rifles shouldered weak side?

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
hey guys,

Over the last half a year I have had major eye issues. My right eye is no longer functional enough to do any real aiming/seeing. After several surgeries my left eye is about 85% or so. I was able to still hold a pistol right handed and do a little plinking the other day but didn't have the means to shoot rifles at the time. Trying to shoulder the rifle left handed and get some sort of site picture felt awful and seemed like it would put me in the way of brass. Are their left handed ARs? Has anybody gone from, shooting with one hand/shoulder to the other successfully? I am thankful for the eyesite God has allowed me to keep, but it sure would be nice to be able to shoot rifles.

Thanks!
Caleb

I shoot lefty, spend more time with ARs than anything else, and ejection isn't an issue. I haven't shot one without a deflector. I install ambi safeties, the bolt release is already convenient

I regularly shoot a pistol with my support hand only and do the same with a rifle from my support side (left) shoulder. At short distance, I shoot with both eyes open. It does feel a little awkward in the beginning, but with a little repetition it will not be. Before I invested in a left hand AR, I would give the standart setup a good run. The shell deflector has mitigated many of the issues suffered by left handed shooters in the past. Just keep practicing Caleb and before you know it you will be doing great.

You are right about our eyesight, and many other things. We sometimes take for granted or don't realize how important these things are and how blessed we are to suffer no significant injury.

Sorry to hear about your eyesight!

Would a laser help with the aiming of your rifle?

At that point you could shoot from the hip.

Just right carbines are reversable. They are similar to ar but not the same. I woud think that the more things you try to do left handed ie eat write throw would make shooting lefty easier. Just making more coordination on the left side would help. I've started having to favor my left side because of right shoulder problems. Things are getting more natural. Sorry to here about your bad eye.

My brother is right handed, but left eye dominant. He fought with it for many years and finally decided to make the plunge and start shooting everything left handed. He struggled with it for a short time, but adapted quickly and now shoots much better left handed than he ever did right handed.

My brother is right handed, but left eye dominant. He fought with it for many years and finally decided to make the plunge and start shooting everything left handed. He struggled with it for a short time, but adapted quickly and now shoots much better left handed than he ever did right handed.
That is the true answer to cross eye dominance, lol. The good news for the OP is now that he is left eye dominate he can and will adjust and be fit to fight. Great post Bear.

Back
Top Bottom