• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shooting to far away with a handgun

I shoot 8” plates at 50 yards almost every session with my G17. Low quality ammo won’t do great at that range, but I can hit them every time with handloads. Going to mount a gong at 75 yards soon.

What I find interesting is the number of folks that get almost offended/combative if you post 2 or 3” groups shot at 25 yards (moreso on another forum). They instantly start talking about “combat accuracy” and surviving deadly encounters.

Just because a "civilian" shoots someone from 100yds away does not mean that they will be criminally charged. This is Georgia and our citizens do not have a "responsibility to flee". I can come up with numerous scenarios where it would be a "good shoot". For instance, part of the code section for justification of deadly force states that you can use deadly force to protect a third party from death or serious injury. This means that you may not be threatened yourself, but you can use deadly force to protect someone else that is. So, you're 100 yards away from a subject who is shooting at someone that you know for a fact to be a "good guy". You would be justified in using deadly force against that subject to protect the third party.

LE in the state of Georgia operate under the exact same code sections that justify the use of deadly force that civilians do. No where in the pertinent code sections are there any distinctions made as to the employment of the person using said force.

In Georgia, if a LEO can shoot someone and be justified then a civilian would be equally justified in the same circumstance.

The vast majority of shootings and gunfights occur at fairly close range. Note that I said "majority" and not "all". This means that the minority of gunfights occur at longer than close range. If you're not practicing for those as well, then you have a hole in your skill set. That's the type of hole that Murphy loves to exploit.

I think of it like that fire extinguisher I keep under the kitchen sink. I've had one there since 1995, I've never needed it, but I'd sure hate to be caught without it.

Just like I train with my carbine at ranges under 7 yards, I train with my handgun at distances most folks would use a carbine for.

I'm not sure if anyone from ODT was at a carbine class I taught a couple of years ago in Blakely GA. There was a steel silhouette on the range at 200yds. During a break, one of the students asked if he could shoot at it with his Glock 19. I said he could, and then I spotted for him. Walked him onto the target and he hit it on the 3rd or 4th round. I pulled out my Beretta 92G, cocked the hammer, flipped it upside down, pulled the trigger with the little finger of my right hand, and hit it on the first shot. Mic drop and walked off stage. Is that a skill I need to have? Nope, but it sure is fun and it's good for braggin' rights!

Another fact is that the Georgia code sections pertaining to deadly force do not mention firearms or any type of weapon at all. If you're justified in the use of deadly force, you can use any means necessary to accomplish those means; shooting, stabbing, drowning, run them over with your car, throw them off the roof, etc.
Yeah I am still not putting that much faith in the system. You can which is cool. I'm not. I am also not a police officer. So if I can flee I will flee. Not doing so while brave can also be very stupid.

Reactions: JWC
Not saying it CAN'T be done, just saying that from my several years of watching multiple (100s) of people with varying skills shoot, it is safe to believe that the large majority of those who carry a pistol (yes, for a living and for personal protection) will have a degree of difficulty hitting a man size target at 25 yds.

I used to shoot in some local PPC type matches. Shooting at a B-25 (full size silhouette) I could put 8 of 10 in the 10 ring regularly. There were many of the LEO who couldn't put 10 in the black. It wasn't uncommon for a round to not even hot the paper. I'm not saying all of them- some of them could shoot out a gnat's eye at 25. But it was more common than you would like to think.

How many people can fit between you and a coke can at 100 yards inside lenox mall? Its not distance that is the issue
That's just 1 situation. All I'm saying is that things can happen very quickly and 100 yds isn't gonna protect you. Hell I can, well used to be able to, throw a baseball on a short hop 100 yds.

That's just 1 situation. All I'm saying is that things can happen very quickly and 100 yds isn't gonna protect you. Hell I can, well used to be able to, throw a baseball on a short hop 100 yds.
That makes up 90% of scenarios in metro Atlanta and most normal cities . The other 10% is drunk rednecks shooting at each other from their tractors

Yeah I am still not putting that much faith in the system. You can which is cool. I'm not. I am also not a police officer. So if I can flee I will flee. Not doing so while brave can also be very stupid.

In the state of Georgia (outside of the Atlanta metro area) LE and the court systems tend to be very civilian-friendly when it comes to justified deadly force.

Sorry, if someone defenseless is being harmed and I can stop it, I will. Yes, I’m a LEO, but I was that way before. No way I could run away and leave someone to did when I could have made a difference. I couldn’t live with myself.

That makes up 90% of scenarios in metro Atlanta and most normal cities . The other 10% is drunk rednecks shooting at each other from their tractors

Not really. 100 yds isn't all that far. If you use even a stupid number like 90%, what is the likely hood that a civilian will need to use a weapon to defend themselves or someone else? It's certainly less than 10%. So by your reasoning, there is no need to carry, no need to practice.

Back
Top Bottom