• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shooting to far away with a handgun

Ask the people who own Advanced Bullet what happens when fools shot handguns at the 100 yard range. We were there when idiots shot through someone's front door with their Glocks. Unless you have a really tall berm/backstop and know what you are doing - don't try to impress your buddies. You are really saying - "Hey - watch this!".

I have my own range with a big hill in in my yard and 320 acres that backs up to my house that I use. You have to remember that once you shoot that round its yours and you better know where its going.And the local police have been out to my house and they like my setup.

My dad and older brother used to regularly pop 8" diameter balloons at 100 yards with an open-sighted Colt 1911 Gold Cup. I"ve put 4 out of 5 hits on a man-sized silhouette target at 100 yards with a 4" barreled .38 revolver, shooting on my own two feet, unsupported.
One time I even tried shooting 3 rounds from my compact 9mm , Double Action Only trigger, at 200 yards, but only got 1 hit and 1 near-miss on the man-sized target. One shot was a total miss-- it was at least 4 feet off my expected point of impact (which was about 3 feet below my aiming point).

If you practice at 25 yards and get good, you can move to 50.
If you get good at 50 yards, you can adjust the sights or do a couple feet of hold-over and shoot handguns at 100 yards.

My Buddy had a Dan Wesson .357, we'd put 38spl. wadcutters in it and see who could hit steel at 100yrds. Heck you could scratch you butt, pick your nose and light a cigarette, before that would get down there. Just Plain Fun!! That's why, and I reload so ammo cheap to have fun with.

Back
Top Bottom