• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shooting to far away with a handgun

How long do you figure the aisle is in your grocery store? My local Kroger is pushing 50yds. I think limiting yourself to 7-10 yds with the pistol is short sighted. 4” 10 shot groups at 25yds on demand standing freestyle is my personal standard. 2.875” is my personal best with the Glock17 I carry daily. I know several shooters who can do this and better on demand.
s854_photobucket_com_component_Download_File_ea7baeadd1b6d7f8710e0875bb4d8417._.jpg

rs854.pbsrc.com_albums_ab104_ASH556_2F8551A1_2712_4BC1_ADAE_0B9ea4f7e139a1be0ece16412438b34364.jpg
So I guess you're now banned from Kroger?

Police maybe, but I get the sense that a civilian shooting anyone from 100 yards out or more may end up going to jail for some reason. Specially since it's a far enough distance to get away from a criminal and call the police.
yeah you aint in danger . If someone is 20 yards away im creeping a leaving. Its fun to practice but in the real world its going to be within 20 feet max.

Some of this is humorous and I feel honored to be in the midst of such awesome crack shots. Most people have a hard enough time hitting a torso/head target at 25 yds with a pistol - much less 100 yds. I remember the last guy who bragged to me that he could "dot the eyes" at 25 yds - He failed out of the police academy during shooting. . . . And for FWIW, the fathest target on the basic police mandate shooting course - is 25 yds.

Y'all realize that 100yds is a football field right?
Man there are folks here who will remain nameless but they cant hit a paper plate at 50 yards with a damn rifle. Its hilarious .

Just because a "civilian" shoots someone from 100yds away does not mean that they will be criminally charged. This is Georgia and our citizens do not have a "responsibility to flee". I can come up with numerous scenarios where it would be a "good shoot". For instance, part of the code section for justification of deadly force states that you can use deadly force to protect a third party from death or serious injury. This means that you may not be threatened yourself, but you can use deadly force to protect someone else that is. So, you're 100 yards away from a subject who is shooting at someone that you know for a fact to be a "good guy". You would be justified in using deadly force against that subject to protect the third party.

LE in the state of Georgia operate under the exact same code sections that justify the use of deadly force that civilians do. No where in the pertinent code sections are there any distinctions made as to the employment of the person using said force.

In Georgia, if a LEO can shoot someone and be justified then a civilian would be equally justified in the same circumstance.

The vast majority of shootings and gunfights occur at fairly close range. Note that I said "majority" and not "all". This means that the minority of gunfights occur at longer than close range. If you're not practicing for those as well, then you have a hole in your skill set. That's the type of hole that Murphy loves to exploit.

I think of it like that fire extinguisher I keep under the kitchen sink. I've had one there since 1995, I've never needed it, but I'd sure hate to be caught without it.

Just like I train with my carbine at ranges under 7 yards, I train with my handgun at distances most folks would use a carbine for.

I'm not sure if anyone from ODT was at a carbine class I taught a couple of years ago in Blakely GA. There was a steel silhouette on the range at 200yds. During a break, one of the students asked if he could shoot at it with his Glock 19. I said he could, and then I spotted for him. Walked him onto the target and he hit it on the 3rd or 4th round. I pulled out my Beretta 92G, cocked the hammer, flipped it upside down, pulled the trigger with the little finger of my right hand, and hit it on the first shot. Mic drop and walked off stage. Is that a skill I need to have? Nope, but it sure is fun and it's good for braggin' rights!

Another fact is that the Georgia code sections pertaining to deadly force do not mention firearms or any type of weapon at all. If you're justified in the use of deadly force, you can use any means necessary to accomplish those means; shooting, stabbing, drowning, run them over with your car, throw them off the roof, etc.

Back
Top Bottom