• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting with NVGs?

T-Roy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
167   0
Reaction score
Question for you guys that have experience...

How do you shoot with a pvs7 type goggle? It seems to me that with the lens in the center getting behind a red dot would be very unnatural. Is it? Is a monocular style unit better to shoot with?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My NVG experience is limited to military gear, ANVIS AN/AVS 6, a duel tube rig. If I had the coin that's what I would run, but I don't have that kind of money, lol. A PVS-14 would be a lot more affordable, but will lack the increased peripheral vision and depth perception mitigation a dual tube provides. But for "around the house" use it is an excellent choice. You can operate a weapon no worries behind a PVS-7.......But covering two eyes with a single tube while trying to defend is something I wouldn't be interested in. Tube failure, battery issue, sudden white light explosion would leave you with a blind man's mask covering your eyes for a few seconds.....Murphy, and all that.

I always run a designator with NVG/NODs

Sun goes down NODs go down lasers turn on

PEQ15 is your most reliable
BE Myers MAWL

I’ve personally been having problems recently running Steiner, OTAL and DBAL

Peq for me only unless I can afford a MAWL soon

I always run a designator with NVG/NODs

Sun goes down NODs go down lasers turn on

PEQ15 is your most reliable
BE Myers MAWL

I’ve personally been having problems recently running Steiner, OTAL and DBAL

Peq for me only unless I can afford a MAWL soon

What problems?

The only real way to shoot with helmet mounted nvgs is with a IR laser. Anything else is ridiculously cumbersome. You can get away with an EOTech if you are just destined to do it that way because the window is fairly large/flat with not tube so it's easier to orient your head to pick up the reticle but I still highly recommend a IR laser only. Especially if you are going to be doing anything remotely dynamic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only real way to shoot with helmet mounted nvgs is with a IR laser. Anything else is ridiculously cumbersome. You can get away with an EOTech if you are just destined to do it that way because the window is fairly large/flat with not tube so it's easier to orient your head to pick up the reticle but I still highly recommend a IR laser only. Especially if you are going to be doing anything remotely dynamic.

Gospel here.

Back
Top Bottom