• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shopping for a Mini-Split Heat Pump...

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
And I'm really only seeing one good option but thought I'd run it by you guys. This will be going in the basement of a ranch. Total of 1250 sq ft living space consisting of two bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and living room. The only good option I see is a running a single zone unit in the living room to cover all the square footage. The two bedrooms are only 200 sq ft each and I don't see a coil rated for 5k btu's. 6k is the lowest I see (from Mitsu anyways). Being in a basement, I'd much rather have a slightly undersized unit to help remove moisture since we're below grade and well insulated. One thing I'm wondering...the 450 sq ft living room is connected to the kitchen by two open door ways (no doors so free flowing) and the two bedrooms of course have doors. If I added pass through vents above the bedroom doors, and the doors were open during the day, would that be enough to maintain some level of comfort? Are there any better recommendations? I'd really like to use a single zone unit if possible just for ease of installation.

Mitsu has a dehumidification mode on there wall mounts. I don't know your what you plan to do with the area but it will be hard to maintain a comfort level with only one FCU. Your best bet is a 3 on 1 with the 2 6k heads and what ever is needed for the rest of the space 9k probably. It should also be noted that these units are not on off only so as you slow the fan speed down you will reduce the output. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mitsu has a dehumidification mode on there wall mounts. I don't know your what you plan to do with the area but it will be hard to maintain a comfort level with only one FCU. Your best bet is a 3 on 1 with the 2 6k heads and what ever is needed for the rest of the space 9k probably. It should also be noted that these units are not on off only so as you slow the fan speed down you will reduce the output. Good luck.

6k is a little overkill for what I need in the bedrooms. Thats why Im hesitant to going with the tri zone. My house is tight and pretty efficient. My budget is also pretty tight right now so if I can get away with a single coil, Id like to. Gonna mull it over some more...

6k is a little overkill for what I need in the bedrooms. Thats why Im hesitant to going with the tri zone. My house is tight and pretty efficient. My budget is also pretty tight right now so if I can get away with a single coil, Id like to. Gonna mull it over some more...
Worst case get the 3 on 1 condenser and you can add the other heads at a later date if desired. This way you are prepared if you need it.

My basement is run off the main floor unit. 3 sides earth covered, end has windows in my theater and bedroom.
The only place that seems to need air is the area near the windows. The other rooms (4), maintain temp really well.
I have 2 longer Goldenrods that keep the humidity at a respectable percentage.
All of my events in the basement are closed off, just enough gets through the closed dampers to refresh everything.
Basement is 5-7 degrees cooler than main floor, main stays at 72 summer and 69 winter.

My basement is run off the main floor unit. 3 sides earth covered, end has windows in my theater and bedroom.
The only place that seems to need air is the area near the windows. The other rooms (4), maintain temp really well.
I have 2 longer Goldenrods that keep the humidity at a respectable percentage.
All of my events in the basement are closed off, just enough gets through the closed dampers to refresh everything.
Basement is 5-7 degrees cooler than main floor, main stays at 72 summer and 69 winter.
Same here. Basement is currently fed by two supplies from the main floor unit. Those will get blocked off if I go ahead with this system. I don't get much of a temperature swing down here. But my wife is prego and we're remodeling upstairs right now so I need cold air down here without killing my 25 year old Lennox. Once the Lennox goes, that'll be a $6-8k job. I'm trying to milk it as long as I can. And we also have been using oil heaters in the basement during the winter so the heat pump will be a big help. I don't like leaving oil heaters running all the time...

I have been looking at mini split's for a upcoming shop build and have seen several people recommending the Mr Cool DIY systems on garage forms. They can be had for around $1,500 and look simple to self install. If they last that would be a great deal.

https://www.amazon.com/MRCOOL-Ductless-Conditioner-Wireless-Enabled-Controller/dp/B07QZHFGLL
I've been looking at Daikin. 10 year warranty (for whatever thats worth) and a little better seer than the mr cool for less money. I don't know where Mr Cool is made either. Daikin is Japanese awesomeness.

Personally because it's what I love and install. I would stick with Mitsubishi. Daikin works just fine but my experience has been much better with mitsu.

Back
Top Bottom