• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shorten SKS barrel

Anyhow, keep in mind we're talking about an open sighted SKS carbine
with a factory wooden stock with a 12 inch length of pull,
and a 14" to 16 inch barrel.

It won't have a bipod; it'll never be shot from sandbags;
it won't wear a scope or any type of optics.
Do y'all really think a crown makes any difference under those circumstances ????
I agree and dig the project idea. An SKS ain't supposed to have an optic or a bipod anyway. Somewhere on YouTube is a video from Australia showing an SKS that was cut down to the gas block and sight mounted back on it. Everything else was original. One of the coolest SBRs I've seen.

First let me try just lopping it off with my axe.

9181AC04-FFB1-4413-9C24-B6217CBFAF05.jpeg

Not sure it’d work the same on an SKS but shortening the barrel after the gas block will reduce dwell time like on an AR. I’m also not sure if Paratroopers had larger gas ports to make up for this.

Cool project though.

Not sure it’d work the same on an SKS but shortening the barrel after the gas block will reduce dwell time like on an AR. I’m also not sure if Paratroopers had larger gas ports to make up for this.

Cool project though.

I wonder about this, too.
Does anybody here at ODT know?
How about you guys who have assembled your own AK rifles and AK 47 pattern pistols. Do you note any difference in size of the gas port?

What is the closest you have seen a gas port located to a gun's muzzle and still function reliably ?

If bobbing the barrel below 16 inches would require expanding the gas port or any other type of gunsmithing, I won't do it.
I'd just cut the barrel off at 16.1" and forget about having any type of muzzle accessory attached.

Google searching has shown me some bad news. Many folks who have chopped the barrels of their SKS rifles have found that the gas pressure is no longer sufficient to reliably cycle the action.
They needed to re-drill their gas ports to a larger hole diameter,
and some guys have also had to clip coils off of the recoil spring.

And that's for 16" to 16.5" barrel chop jobs,
not even considering those people who have gone SBR!

925BEAFC-38F6-4990-827D-E1E3C112F71E.jpeg

This guy has a great YouTube video on how to do the barrel cut
with a hacksaw, and clean up the cut afterward, polish the face of the muzzle,
and crown it with a brass screw dipped in valve grinding compound.

I'll have to look up his other videos regarding this rifle
and read his comments to see if he had to do anything
about his gas system, now that his barrel is 16.5".

Back
Top Bottom