• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shorten SKS barrel

I did a home made paratrooper SKS project right after I joined here. A 16" barreled SKS is one of my favorite rifles. I did the old brass screw in a drill with valve grinding compound for the recrown. I ordered a new front sight base from a company called Prince 50. It looked kinda close to the original but not perfect. It's probably the best front sight solution though. It's held on by a tension screw on the bottom.
And i understand that some SKS's may have collector value to the right person. Lets be honest, theyre not worth more than 500 tops unless its got Stalin's signature on it.
So who really cares, have at it...

I sort of went down this road. You can learn from my experience if you want. I ordered an annular cutter from Carolina Shooters and an adjustable M14 left hand die. Unfortunately I discovered the annular cutter from CSS left a barrel OD too big for proper bite even with the die adjusted all the way out. Evidently different manufacturers leave different OD'S on the barrel because annular cutters are made for an ID during a machining operation-not an OD. Carolina Shooter's left a barrel OD of .560" which is too big, I don't care what those guys say. The bore guide I had on the die I noticed was not able to "guide" the die without the die getting slightly off bore while turning the die. So I called CNCwarrior. Those guys told me they bought over 20 different annular cutters from different manufacturers before finding one that left an OD of .545. BINGO!! Big difference!! Anyways I had chopped barrel down to 16", threaded and installed a linear comp to retain some back pressure. It also makes shooting enjoyable because it does send most of the blast down range. I would be very leery of chopping back any further than 16" because I think you will have cycling issues due to lack of backpressure. The SKS gas system is a tad finicky compared to the AK. I understand Century or somebody who was importing SKS's in the 80's was opening up the gas port and Norinco came to town to see how they did it. They went back and started making the paratroopers that we all see today. Another option if you are dead set to cut it back to the gas block is a 4-piece Bulgarian brake. That sends a ton of gas back to the rear and might overcome any cycling issues derived from a shortened barrel.

And i understand that some SKS's may have collector value to the right person. Lets be honest, theyre not worth more than 500 tops unless its got Stalin's signature on it.
So who really cares, have at it...
You're being too generous. I like sn SKS a lot right up to about the $250.00 mark. Beyond that they start losing their appeal rapidly. I'd love to own another 16" barreled model or the D model that uses AK mags. But those seem to start at the $700.00 range these days. And with that much money involved I'd just buy another WASR.

You could go full-tilt boogey bubba.....it's great for making the purists howl!!
19779.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom