• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shortening barrel on old winchester single shot

I'd be in favor of keeping the choke if you can. 410 doesn't have much of a load to start with, spreading too thin limits what you can do with it.

I'd try some of the ideas above to clean the rust out. Some kind of emery cloth or scotch-brite pad on a wood dowel should get you somewhere. If you get it to polish out smooth, I'd try a few shots to see if it hits straight. You could even try a few slugs. Some minor pitting probably wont affect it.

I have one of those old bolt 410 with a twisty adjustable choke. It does better choked.

Is there any legal repercussion to shortening a shotgun barrel by an inch or 2? Ive got an old single shot 410 and the last inch or 1 1/2 of the barrel is rusted but the rest is good. Can I legally shorten it myself if I keep it over 18 in? Or does it have to be done by a certified gunsmith?
Before you take a hack saw to it, you could take a shot at cleaning up the rust.
Rub the rust with some 0000 steel wool soaked in your favorite oil.
You will be amazed at some of the barrels that have been recovered.
It will not be perfect, but it will be usable.
Unless you are planning to only shoot slugs it is usually better to have some degree of choke in 410 bore.

You can cut it yourself with a bit of patience and a hacksaw. Don't cheap out, buy a new blade for the saw with the finest teeth available.

If it isn't a vent rib barrel you can put a hose clamp around the barrel as a guide to get a nice straight cut.

I have done a couple barrels and they cut very easy, mild steel in the barrel, its like cutting a hardwood dowel.

RESIST THE URGE TO USE A POWER TOOL, EVEN A DREMEL.

So,,,, how short is too short, again?

7765441B-8039-417F-9192-073C02780F7A.jpeg

19B76A1D-77E1-4495-A4F7-E97569EDC98E.jpeg

Thanks I'm gonna try to clean it with steel wool and oil this weekend and if no luck I'm gonna just cut about an inch off
Use a bronze wool pad, so you don't risk scratching the barrel. Will clean just as well.

Take a 28 gauge bronze brush, put some bronze wool on it, whatever solvent, Kroil is my favorite, and chuck it in a drill. You won't damage the barrel, and it will make it shine. You can finish with a light abrasive like Flitz or Simichrome. Piece of fine Scotchbrite pad will make it shine.

Back
Top Bottom