• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shot gun recoil reduceing

After receiving the pad, I attached mine to the butt stock and scribed a line where it was too big. Then I put my belt sander in the vise, upside down, and sanded to the line. I had to do the first one twice, but the others were a perfect first time fit.

I just watched the video. Looks pretty easy.

Which pad have you used?

I just watched the video. Looks pretty easy.

Which pad have you used?

I got the "Sporting Clay", (I don't shoot clays) I put it on my 3 BPS for dove hunting. I liked the tapered top on the pad, as it reduces the chances of hanging up in your clothes as you shoulder the gun.

I'm refinishing the stock on my over under and when l pulled the recoil pad off there was (l don't know the name for it) a recoil redducer in it. It difinatly not for this gun unless paper towels are common to keep it from moving around. It is shorter than it is from the bolt to the pad and they crammed paper towels to keep it from moving. What is a good way to secure it into place? What is the typical way these are held in.
Please dumb down any answers l don't know much about shotguns. Thanks

Perfectly normal. Standard target gun modification. Adding weight to the stock is the cheapest and surest way of reducing recoil, even in a semi-auto. Paper towels will work as good as anything.

Note though that "recoil reducing devices" don't do anything beyond the weight they add (not referring to recoil reducing stocks).

The weights are as varied as the shooters imagination. Some use oval fishing sinkers, a lot of people use a plastic baggie full of shot crammed into the bolt hole. The OCD crowd takes an appropriate length of copper pipe and fills it with lead, because it's neater and looks cool.

Depending on how you want the gun to feel, 4-6 oz. weight is not uncommon.

I don't think Kick-eez can be beat. I've installed my own, but if you are refinishing a stock, you might consider have a shop do it, if you haven't done it before. The charge is pretty nominal (or should be)

Perfectly normal. Standard target gun modification. Adding weight to the stock is the cheapest and surest way of reducing recoil, even in a semi-auto. Paper towels will work as good as anything.

Note though that "recoil reducing devices" don't do anything beyond the weight they add (not referring to recoil reducing stocks).

The weights are as varied as the shooters imagination. Some use oval fishing sinkers, a lot of people use a plastic baggie full of shot crammed into the bolt hole. The OCD crowd takes an appropriate length of copper pipe and fills it with lead, because it's neater and looks cool.

Depending on how you want the gun to feel, 4-6 oz. weight is not uncommon.

I don't think Kick-eez can be beat. I've installed my own, but if you are refinishing a stock, you might consider have a shop do it, if you haven't done it before. The charge is pretty nominal (or should be)

What ever is in the butt feels like a dead blow hammer inside. That's the best way that l know to explain it. It looks store bought or somebody with a lathe made it.

I've already done the grip and butt stock. I'm working on the trigger and barrel now. It had a camo wrap with 2 layers of paint under it. They definitely used paint grade wood. So unfortunately it didn't turn out as planned but out still looks pretty good. I'm going to put up some pics when it's done

What ever is in the butt feels like a dead blow hammer inside. That's the best way that l know to explain it. It looks store bought or somebody with a lathe made it.

I've already done the grip and butt stock. I'm working on the trigger and barrel now. It had a camo wrap with 2 layers of paint under it. They definitely used paint grade wood. So unfortunately it didn't turn out as planned but out still looks pretty good. I'm going to put up some pics when it's done

There are some spring loaded and mercury filled recoil "reducers" that give that sensation. As I noted, they work mostly from the extra weight. Back in my gullible, pre-internet days, I tried most of them until I figured out that their supposed operation violates Newton's laws.

Take whatever it is and tap it on a table and see if you can feel anything move.

Back
Top Bottom