• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun for Home Defense "Economic Viability"

nSquared

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
6   0
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sure there are other variations of the topic that have been beaten to death. However, I can't find anything in regards to the topic at hand. I'm not going into ammo types and ballistics, etc. I'm curious of views in terms of training and costs.

It has been said millions of times that a shotgun for home defense is the best route and there have been nearly as many rejections to the contrary. I'm more inclined to believe that the best weapon is the one that that user is most capable to using effectively in a stressful situation. This brings me to the point. To use a home defense weapon requires practice/training. For someone like myself who is limited to indoor ranges; buckshot and slugs are the the only shotgun ammo type allowed. The cost for either is quite a bit more expensive than common handgun and or rifle calibers. There are those in the world that believe that it's hard to miss with a shotgun or, they have no doubt that they can rise to the occasion regardless that they've never taken a shot from their shotgun except to make sure it fires. Both are fallacies. I feel that those who believe in either are liabilities.

There is a wealth of experience here in ODT. Many who have served among those who serve currently. I'm not asking for myself as, I am quite aware of what weapon type I am most comfortable with. I'm just interested in other views. For Police and Military, there are definite applications for shotgun use. However, as time goes on, it seems that the shotgun at home has less going for it as it, would be the least trained with.

Thoughts?

In my opinion a shotgun is the best for home defense, however quite a bit does depend on the type of ammo being used. If you have ever fired a shot gun in a closed room in the dark the sound And the flash can become very disorienting. Find a barn someplace and test out my theory

I think the flexibility, compactness, ease of use, conceal-ability, cost-effective training at indoor ranges makes the handgun a better choice than shotgun if you can only have and practice with one gun.

I think the flexibility, compactness, ease of use, conceal-ability, cost-effective training at indoor ranges makes the handgun a better choice than shotgun if you can only have and practice with one gun.

You know people seem to think that if they put a load of buckshot in their shotgun it's going to cover a wide area.
I see this at the range all the time.
They're always surprised at how small the group is at the distance they figure they're going to need it.
It's much smaller than they thought it would be.
Also a long gun in tight quarters has it's disadvantages....

My first line of home defense (well after the security system and the dogs) is a high capacity handgun.
(Cause I don't shoot so well without my glasses on and I figure I'm not going to put the gun down to put my glasses on.)

For home defense I would rather have a shotgun over anything. For many outdoors defense situations as well. I believe in training with the exact same gun, or one just like it, that you will carry, or have at your disposal. It's no different with shotguns. Just my opinion.

....OP, I "mostly" agree with you.
....Since your ranges forbid birdshot, and slugs or buckshot cost about a dollar a round, this doesn't sound like a gun you'd practice much with.

But... I think that if you bought a shotgun, during your first year of owning but you could go through the trouble of shooting it a lot, including with birdshot, at outdoor ranges.
Do some skeet / 5-stand, busting clays.
Shoot a lot of cheap 2.75" chamber #8 shot at 22 cents a round;
it is available at Walmart or Sports Authority, with those 100-round cases for $22.

AFTER A YEAR AND SEVERAL HUNDRED ROUNDS OF PRACTICE, then you can just take the shotgun out once or twice a year and only shoot a dozen rounds each range session. Those could be buckshot loads.

Back
Top Bottom